Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: RSS feed to integrate into Xara website

Quote Originally Posted by garycwood84 View Post
    Hmm... that's a shame. It means this isn't a workable option. And there's definitely now way we can get the Surfing Waves feed you found to include images?
    Found it for Surfing Waves: In the Entry contents section, ensure that you turn the Html (images / links) button is set to "on". (This will result in the Entry contents maximum length being overwritten). Sorry I missed it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn. This works with the images now, but it still doesn't show the article dates. Is there anything we can do about that?

Thanks Acorn. This works with the images now, but it still doesn't show the article dates. Is there anything we can do about that?
    Gary, if the Viewer is not aware or is not extracting the date then probably no.

The best seems to be with setting 'Posted time ago' to On in the Surfing Waves RSS Widget. but you get 3 days ago and not a date.
    It would be possible to write some jQuery for items that were posted in the last six days to re-present an actual date. after that it would be one week ago, etc.

Acorn

Code:
    <!-- start sw-rss-feed code --> 
    <script type="text/javascript"> 
    <!-- 
    rssfeed_url = new Array(); 
    rssfeed_url[0]="http://blog.sela-sheffield.org/feeds/posts/default/";  
    rssfeed_frame_width="480"; 
    rssfeed_frame_height="800"; 
    rssfeed_scroll="on"; 
    rssfeed_scroll_step="6"; 
    rssfeed_scroll_bar="off"; 
    rssfeed_target="_blank"; 
    rssfeed_font_size="18"; 
    rssfeed_font_face=""; 
    rssfeed_border="off"; 
    rssfeed_css_url=""; 
    rssfeed_title="on"; 
    rssfeed_title_name=""; 
    rssfeed_title_bgcolor="#3366ff"; 
    rssfeed_title_color="#fff"; 
    rssfeed_title_bgimage=""; 
    rssfeed_footer="on"; 
    rssfeed_footer_name="rss feed"; 
    rssfeed_footer_bgcolor="#fff"; 
    rssfeed_footer_color="#333"; 
    rssfeed_footer_bgimage=""; 
    rssfeed_item_title_length="50"; 
    rssfeed_item_title_color="#666"; 
    rssfeed_item_bgcolor="#fff"; 
    rssfeed_item_bgimage=""; 
    rssfeed_item_border_bottom="off"; 
    rssfeed_item_source_icon="on"; 
    rssfeed_item_date="on"; 
    rssfeed_item_description="on"; 
    rssfeed_item_description_length="500"; 
    rssfeed_item_description_color="#55a0ff"; 
    rssfeed_item_description_link_color="#333"; 
    rssfeed_item_description_tag="on"; 
    rssfeed_no_items="0"; 
    rssfeed_cache = "023356a632619c12d0b2f29f623e09ac"; 
    //--> 
    </script> 
    <script type="text/javascript" src="//feed.surfing-waves.com/js/rss-feed.js"></script> 
    <!-- The link below helps keep this service FREE, and helps other people find the SW widget. Please be cool and keep it! Thanks. --> 
    <div style="text-align:right; width:480px;">powered by <a href="http://www.surfing-waves.com" rel="noopener" target="_blank" style="color:#ccc;font-size:10px">Surfing Waves</a></div> 
    <!-- end sw-rss-feed code -->
    Last edited by Acorn; 06 August 2018 at 10:13 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for this, Acorn. I've done some more experimenting with Surfing Waves, and I think I can live with the "X time ago" instead of the date. So, now my challenge is to create a custom style sheet to make it look like the one we were creating with the other RSS feed, earlier in this thread (i.e. increased line spacing, larger title, etc., and if possible the "X time ago" for the post below the title, rather than at the bottom).

Would you be able to point me in the right direction, please?

Here's the XWD file I've got so far, without the styling in place: Surfing Waves example.web

Thanks very much,
    Gary

Info Re: RSS feed to integrate into Xara website

Gary, what a journey.

Almost there. The problem (but with a clean solution) is that Surfing Waves RSS installs an IFRAME based on the code your provided so modification of the values needs to use an external CSS file.
    All well and good until you discover that the 'rssfeed_css_url=' statement needs a fully qualified URL. so you have to upload the CSS file and reference it with its final destination path.
    This fails with local Export so you have to test with Preview and you then have to ensure the correct URL that is generated by Xara's internal server, e.g., rssfeed_css_url='http://localhost:8000/virtb112bcd3/index_htm_files/sela.css';.

Xara has an arcane method of attaching files.
    You need this - sela.zip - you need to unpack this and add it to a folder as sela.css.

XARA'S OFFICIAL-UNOFFICIAL METHOD
    I have included this for reference - see ACORN'S METHOD below.

In Xara, create a small box. select it then press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+A to open an Attache file dialog.
    Navigate to sela.css and select that.

Preview the page and in Chrome or another browser, copy the virt part of the address (my example - virtb112bcd3).
    In your design page, edit the Placeholder code, rssfeed_css_url='http://localhost:8000/virtb112bcd3/index_htm_files/sela.css';. changing the virt part to the one you copied.

Preview again and you should see all the CSS in sela.css being applied.

ACORN'S METHOD
    Now I find the Ctrl+Shift+Alt+A approach is hit and miss when changing sela.css repeatedly.

Create a small box and ensure it is on your design page.
    Add a Link > Link to file and locate sela.css.
    I keep the box red so I know what it is.
    You then have to change and save the contents of sela.css to suit your needs and then relink to sela.css again and Apply to refresh.
    Note the virt faff is still needed if Previewing.
    I, finally, add <div></div> to the box's Placeholder body code or <link rel="stylesheet" href="index_htm_files/sela.css"/> to the box's Placeholder head code to hide it from view.

Acorn

Thanks for this, Acorn. Going to have a play with it this weekend. Just wondering, though, unless I've misunderstood something: can't I just upload the CSS file to my webspace manually, using an FTP client, and then use its fully qualified URL in the Surfing Waves code for rssfeed_css_url?

Thanks again for this, Acorn. I tried uploading the css file directly to my FTP server and then giving Surfing Waves a fully qualified URL from there. It seems to work fine. I've edited the CSS some more to make start making it match the original RSS feed at www.sela-sheffield.org/news.html.

There are two things that I'm still struggling with.
    1. Each news item title is underlined, and I can't figure out why or how to turn the underlining off;
    2. the hover effect doesn't seem to work on the "Read More" links. They should turn the same colour as the body text when hovered, but this isn't working.

I'm copying below the CSS as it currently stands, and it would be awesome if you can help me over this final hurdle, please!

Code:
    body {
    	margin: 0;
    	padding: 0;
    	background-color: white;
    	}
    img {
    	border: 0px;
    	}
    .feed-container {
    	font-size: 16px;
    	font-family: 'TUoS Blake';
    	border: none;
    	}
    .feed-container .header {
    	margin: 0px;
    	padding: 5px 5px 5px 5px;
    	color: #fff;
    	background-color: #787878;
    	}
    .feed-container .footer {
    	padding: 5px 5px 5px 5px;
    	background-color: #787878;
    	}
    .feed-container .header .title {
    	margin: 0;
    	padding: 0;
    	font-weight: bold;
    	}
    .feed-container .header a: link {
    	text-decoration: none;
    	}
    .feed-container .header a: visited {
    	}
    .feed-container .header a: hover {
    	}
    .feed-container .header a: active {
    	}
    .feed-container .content {
    	padding: 0 3px;
    	background-color: none;
    	}
    .feed-container .content .item {
    	margin: 0 0 7px 0;
    	padding: 0 0 7px 0;
    	border-bottom: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
    	}
    .feed-container .content .item .title {
    	margin: 1px 0 1px 3px;
    	padding: 1px 2px 1px 3px;
    	color: #005CB9;
    	font-size: 24px;
    	line-height: 60px;
    	}
    .feed-container .content .item .title a: link {
    	color: green;
    	}
    .feed-container .content .item .title a: visited {
    	}
    .feed-container .content .item .title a: hover {
    	}
    .feed-container .content .item .title a: active {
    	}
    .feed-container .content .item .description {
    	margin: 0 0 0 3px;
    	padding: 0 2px 0 3px;
    	color: #787878;
    	font-size: 18px;
    	line-height: 1.75em;
    	}
    .feed-container .content .item .description a {
    	}
    .feed-container .content .item .description a: hover {
    	color: #787878;
    	}
    .pubDt {
    	padding: 0px;
    	font-weight; bold;
        }

@Acorn - just wondering if you have any ideas on this. I'm hoping to get my website finalise this weekend and would really appreciate any guidance you can offer on teh final issues in my last post above.

Smile Re: RSS feed to integrate into Xara website

@Acorn - just wondering if you have any ideas on this. I'm hoping to get my website finalise this weekend and would really appreciate any guidance you can offer on teh final issues in my last post above.
    Gary, sorry for the delay.

All that I can see wrong is the pseudo-classes for the anchor link - a:link/visited/hover/active all had a space separating them.

If that doesn't work then Xara is probably overriding them elsewhere so adding !important might work.

Code:
    .feed-container .content .item .title a: link {
        color: green !important;
        text-decoration: none !important;
       }
    Acorn

Thanks, Acorn! All working now. Just finalising other bits of the site and then I'll be ready to launch!

Really appreciate all your help with this.