Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: RSS feed to integrate into Xara website

Quote Originally Posted by garycwood84 View Post
    Thanks, Acorn. I've added the code to the page head for the News page, where the RSS feed is, but it's still not working. Do I need to add anything else?
    In TG, a space crept in, try:

<script>
    window.onresize = function() {
    //alert('Resizing!');
    document.getElementById('rssfeed_frame').contentDo cument.location.reload(true);
    };
    </script>

To test, remove the //s and you will get nagged lots and probably not be able to resize across the Variants. I included this to check that the syntax of the code is correct.
    Next remove the alert line altogether.

Fingers crossed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Acorn. Still no luck, I'm afraid: I don't see the alerts or the refreshing. However, looking back through the thread, I noted this assumption, and wonder if it's the problem:

I shall assume you will always have jQuery loaded.
    I haven't deliberately done anything to load jQuery. Should I have done?

Thanks, Acorn. Still no luck, I'm afraid: I don't see the alerts or the refreshing. However, looking back through the thread, I noted this assumption, and wonder if it's the problem:
    I haven't deliberately done anything to load jQuery. Should I have done?
    Gary, I checked and some of your other components already activated jQuery. I did, however, rewrite the code to omit any jQuery calls (using $), so it should work.

Is the alerting working at least?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Acorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Is the alerting working at least?
    No, it doesn't seem to be working at all. I copied the code you sent and inserted it into the Head of the news page. I removed the forward slashes before the alert, and republished, but no alerts appeared.

Interestingly, I've noticed that as I resize down the window from the full size (960px) variant, the news feed disappears when I get to 960px and the site switches to the 700px variant. If I then refresh, the news feed reappears, but it doesn't disappear when I get to the 400px variant: it just resizes to be narrower and stays visible. I don't know what the difference is between the two break points that would cause this, unless it's the fact that the 400px variant has a different style sheet, and perhaps calling for that triggers the whole iframe to refresh?? Maybe a simple fix would be to give the 700px version it's own stylesheet too, even if it's contents are the same as the 960px one?

What do you think?

Thanks, Acorn.

No, it doesn't seem to be working at all. I copied the code you sent and inserted it into the Head of the news page. I removed the forward slashes before the alert, and republished, but no alerts appeared.

Interestingly, I've noticed that as I resize down the window from the full size (960px) variant, the news feed disappears when I get to 960px and the site switches to the 700px variant. If I then refresh, the news feed reappears, but it doesn't disappear when I get to the 400px variant: it just resizes to be narrower and stays visible. I don't know what the difference is between the two break points that would cause this, unless it's the fact that the 400px variant has a different style sheet, and perhaps calling for that triggers the whole iframe to refresh?? Maybe a simple fix would be to give the 700px version it's own stylesheet too, even if it's contents are the same as the 960px one?

What do you think?
    Gary, I can't see your page published at the moment but are all the Feeds using the same ID (rssfeed_frame)? JavaScript usually only latches onto the first instance of an ID so it might not be firing for the Variants.

Can you add a class of eng_feed to all your IFRAMES (class="eng_feed") and change the code to
    Code:
    <script>
    window.onresize = function() {
    document.getElemenstByClassName('eng_feed').contentDocument.location.reload(true);
    };
    </script>

After that it might still be down to where the code is place on each Variant page but I think the head is correct.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 17 September 2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: TG mucks up code by throwing in random spaces! Added CODE tags around.

A variation:
    Code:
    document.getElementById('rssfeed_frame').contentWindow.location.reload();
    Acorn

Thanks for this Acorn, and apologies for taking ages to get back to you: I got distracted by other work commitments, and so have only just had time to pick this up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Can you add a class of eng_feed to all your IFRAMES (class="eng_feed") and change the code to
    I'm not sure where to put this. The code I've copied into a the placeholder on the site doesn't actually include an iFrame tag into which I could put this class. The site itself is now live, so you can see the relevant page at www.sela-sheffield.org/news.htm

Many thanks in advance for any further advice.