Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Customisable Dash Lines

Art brushes can create great dash patterns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strokes.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	121878  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

+1

Egg I know where you are coming from in relation to Scatter brushes, but I also do think like Gary, that an option to specify a dash line gap distance is a standard basic feature for graphic design software. The iPad version of Affinity Designer has it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0051.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	121879
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Cheers Jono, I'm not disputing it would be a simpler step to create dash patterns this way but from the screen grabs AD looks like it can only handle 1 dash & 1 space (?) and Illy appears to have a 3 dash/space limit.

I was just following up Acorns suggestion of using brushes to create dash patterns (Art brushes, not scatter) and via this method you can create as many dashes and as many spaces as you wish, also determining the dash and space size as well as even offering offset from the line. I agree not as intuitive as the other 2's method but far more adaptable.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg, the iPad Affinity Designer actually does have further dash/gap fields, it’s just the others were off screen - you have to slide them across to the left with your finger to reveal them

I have the desktop version of AD Jono but haven't had time to look at this implimentation.
    Egg

CorelDraw has the best dashed line customization. Unlike AD, it also can fix the corners to "end" properly when needed. The limit is five dashes in whatever pattern. And also unlike AD, it is a bit more visual when editing/creating new dashed lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002107.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	121894

The corners being "proper" makes for designing those dashed lines around coupons. QXP, while not as flexible as regards dash patterns, also has had proper corners since...well, I started using it in 1992 or so.

And as can be seen in the above screen shot, CD can also do the lines around objects and set whether the line is outside, middle (like Xara applications) or inside. I do believe this has also been requested for years.

Mike

CorelDraw has the best dashed line customization.
    It certainly looks that way Mike. Xara does really fall down on it's corner rendering. Also agree re the need to apply a stroke inside, middle or outside.
    Egg

I think all this nicely shows what Xara/Magix needs to think about. AD can shift the dashes along using the ‘Phase’ option but that’s not as useful as CD’s corners.

Once you know a program quite well, you can usually find ways round things like corners. Having them built in is mostly a question of convenience, saving time and maybe accuracy - one less thing to have to fiddle about with or accidentally shift out of place, forget to change width, colour etc.

In an alternative universe if I were a developer, in conjunction with consultation with end users, I would take a close look at all the other graphic design applications out there, then attempt to produce something even better.