Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Continuing Ron and Gary's discusssion. All are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Hey, Ron—

It's just an abstract thought, drawn out.

The little piece of art was an icon I " upgraded" to become a piece of art in its own right. Simple stuff can benefit immensely as a statement just by filling in some "missing pieces".

If anyone would like to, attached here is a simple vector drawing of a lime slice. The screen snag below shows it and a couple of minor variations.

Attachment 121908

Take something simple, and while keeping it simple, add some human (IE: Your) qualities to it.

Because why not?

Hence, that Picasso (sp) (Boucasso: Bouton abstract) was developed from a lime slice? WOW!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

I thought I replied to this thread yesterday ... Love the abstract "Boucasso" Gary. That's something I aspire to create, and it was probably really simple for you! I could hang that on my wall ... of course, my other half wouldn't allow me to do that though.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

All about time that is too short, money that is too small, and originality that is too hard!

Attachment 121902
    Love that Gare. Picasso was one talented dude, Kind of like you. I used to not like his work but I have changed and now really like the abstract. Maybe because I have learned more about the guy, and his work.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Abstract art and artists

Truth be known, guys, Pablo was a commercial artist, not abstract, not expressionist. He was a chameleon of sorts—when an art style trended, he absorbed it into his repertoire—did it better usually than an original artist—and left a 7 or 8 figure estate for his kids.

Ironically, William Shakespeare was sort of a cultural/artistic shoplifter, too, but both he asnd Picasso gave more than they appropriated IMO.

I think it was Thomas Marlow, a peer in Shakespeare's age, who wrote Two Gentlemen of Verona, although historically Shakespeare is credited.

Ironically, an original though from Billy (?) was, "The play's the thing."

Meaning? No actor, or costume, or set design can substitute for the concept, the thought behind the play. Or the artwork, or the dance, you know?

Check out Jackson Pollack, Mondrian, Kandinsky, and especially one of my faves, Joan Miro (a guy) if you want inspiration to cut your teeth on Abstract Expressionism.

And a piece of absolute joy and expressionism, Nude Descending a Staircase, controversial at the time (because the word "nude" is in the title!) by Marcel DuChampo.

Fact be known, Picasso tracked DuChamp and his work scrupulously, imitated...sigh...prevailed.

Here's a crack at Miro using a photo of myself last year:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MeMirot-ish-2_FotoSketcher.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	121975

Cheers!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I thought I replied to this thread yesterday ... Love the abstract "Boucasso" Gary. That's something I aspire to create, and it was probably really simple for you! I could hang that on my wall ... of course, my other half wouldn't allow me to do that though.
    Your spouse? Your top half? Your left half?

Sorry, Keith!

Start with something simple. Then mess with it as freely as your mind will allow.

Sorry for these vague instructions. There really are no instructions, but only suggestions.

Here's a small Lichtenstein.

Name:	ay1035277474-roy-lichtenste.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	121976

What does it say to you?

What part of it would you embellish differently, to suit your own sensibilities?

What can you learn from it to change your sensibilities somewhat?

Just let it flow. Don't work to hard at it. Let it be an introspective journey of sorts.

Offer void where prohibited. Some fading may occur. Tumble dry only. May contain allergens. I've never seen a happy vegan.

These are just my own inner voices.

Aren't you glad you don't live within 100 miles of me?

Name:  yogabot.gif
Views: 380
Size:  5.7 KB

What does it say to you?
    At a quick glance it says "Jack of Diamonds"

Aren't you glad you don't live within 100 miles of me?
    It's possible that I actually do ... lets have a quick look at google maps ... According to Google Maps it's 201 km (125 miles) ... Phew, Safe ... Just check - 106 miles as the crow flies. Still safe.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Info Re: Continuing Ron and Gary's discusssion. All are welcome!

It's possible that I actually do ... lets have a quick look at google maps ... According to Google Maps it's 201 km (125 miles) ... Phew, Safe ... Just check - 106 miles as the crow flies. Still safe.
    A crow would follow the Earth's curvature. A laser would carve through the ground and be a shorter distance so the chord length brings you a bit closer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hmmmm. Okay. Go with it.

1.) What appeals to you about it, if anything?

2.) How about the colour palette? To me, that's where I'd get the playing card inspiration.

I could put more questions to you here, but it wouldn't be the point.

It's all about a process, Keith, if that makes any sense, or resounds at all.

When input (for lack of a better term, offhand) makes me stop for a moment or two, I tend to ask myself why.

And often the answer lies in Art. A design unrevealed, a possibility stacked up out of a fragment here and there that please my eye.

But for me, the process isn't done, then.

You might not know it, but I'm a playful guy. </under-exaggeration>

I'll take a bitmap copy of my unfinished idea and filter it in Photoshop. Or extrude it in a modeling program, or perform other path operations in 3D, such as "lofting", or spinning the path around an axis to create a 3rd dimension. Or smearing it a little in a way that cannot be done easily in Xara. Here's a graphical thought process; begin with a primitive...oh, a triangle's good.

Then mess with the triangle; lop part of it's top off so it's not equilateral. Hint: Asymmetrical is usually better than symmetrical in a design. Stuff can be balanced without being symmetrical.

Name:	aligned planets.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	121979

Add a rectangle almost bisecting it laterally, and oops; well there, it sort of is beginning to look like the first letter of the last name of a dud who is afraid he lives to close to moi :)

Name:	how done.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	121978

Mooshing-around time, because why not?

Name:	frame painted over.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	121980

Attached is the original XAR file with which to play/experiment.

You have XGD version 18 installed, right?

Name:  Smily-FINAL.gif
Views: 367
Size:  2.5 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

it's funny, as an artist that may be how your brain functions. However, I'm a Architectural Designer, and I seem to want everything to be technically accurate (even to the stage where sometimes I'll work in the cad for a base, and import a PDF into Xara), rather than artistic. When I play with Xara, I get frustrated that I can't snap lines to exact locations especially when trying to do multiple offsets of angled lines and ensure that they are all spaced exactly alike. I end up just randomly intersecting shapes (normally regular shapes especially circles) and then decide that it all looks rubbish and throw it away. My second downfall is that my typical use of Xara is more for producing posters, or invitations or place cards etc, rather than pieces of artwork, and my skill with Xara is lacking when trying to reproduce items. I've just started drawing my wristwatch, and to be honest I have no idea how I'm going to duplicate some of the items I see (chrome) - trying not to use plug-ins as although I don't consider them cheating, I'd rather learn to do it without them if possible. Not only that I'm now second guessing whether shapes should be layered over each other to just cover things or should be actually cut round each other, so that they fit together.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 23 August 2018 at 02:31 AM.
    Keith

1.) What appeals to you about it, if anything?
    More than anything else, the colour palette

2.) How about the colour palette? To me, that's where I'd get the playing card inspiration.
    Exactly. that is what reminded me of a playing card ...

... to look like the first letter of the last name of a dud who is afraid he lives to close to moi
    Absolutely not actually ... If I was closer I would be honoured to visit ... assuming I was welcome!

You have XGD version 18 installed, right?
    ... not sure where you got your version 18, mine says 15.1
    Keith