Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anxious pumpkin

Gare - yes you need to be able to see what you want to draw yes...

myself I went through all that and came out the other side.. now what I draw [for myself] is far more interpretive as here [done by frettle aka handrawn in another place]:

https://www.talkgraphics.com/attachm...0&d=1533411544
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Retouching a photo with XD

Well done, handrawn! I’m envious; the freedom you obviously enjoy in your work—that’s the way painting should be—no constrains of stroke and fill. I failed oil painting at University. I never quite sussed an area of expression foreign to me. I began with pen and ink at age 6, and I stuck with what worked for me.

Lay-Zeeeeee!

About this retouched piece:

1.) It took about 4 hours using Xara. I spent 2 hours getting nowhere with P’shop and decided to cut my losses. I needed often to get between the pixels so and area would resolve up smooth.

2.) My choice of Charlez was a deliberate one; I wanted to choose an image I liked to look at for a few hours, and it’s also the best example I could quickly find where the text was intrusive, laid out poorly and just ugly.

3.) Absolutely no sexism was intended, okay? If I’d found an outstandingly ugly magazine cover with a guy or an infant, I’d have used it. I’m very sensitive (I think) to exploitation.

4.) The Administrator is cool with this.

At right, the finished cover. In the middle, where the multitude of shapes are that cover the text and in a lot of areas to replace areas of the dress, arms, and so on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charlez Bazaar retouch.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	121803

At right, the finished cover. In the middle, where the multitude of shapes are that cover the text and in a lot of areas to replace areas of the dress, arms, and so on.

Retouching with Xara feels quite natural to me, even though I usually use the Paintbrush tool and other tools in Photoshop. I’ve only done one other retouching session in Xara; a pristine 1958 Cadillac that had a guarding fence around it to keep kids off the spectacular set of wheels.

My Best,

Gary

Name:  Everything.gif
Views: 524
Size:  2.5 KB

Default Re: Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I agree. My intention was to take members "behind the scenes" to explain why Xara and vector art isn't totally dissimilar to modeling and vectors.

A water pipe, eh? You mean like a hookah?

Or a Dr. Hookah?

Attachment 121774
    I do not know what a hookah is. When I was very young I saw what was called a water pipe, maybe that is the same I don't know.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: Monotony

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    Be honest Larry, would you off the top of your head have come up with a image as Gare as shown. I know I for one would never have dreamed of it and what is shown is why Gary is a walking art, vector and so on Master. He's just a genius and we should be thankful he shares it with all at Tg.

Not getting at you Larry but just reflect on what so many learnt from G.B. over the years and I suspect you will have been one amongst the many. I have the utmost respect for G.B. as I do for G.P. and I don't think I would be telling them how it should be done! it's called respect.

Stygg
    To be honest Stygg, no I wouldn't have thought of that.
    I too have learned much from Gare, and Egg too for that matter. Both have been my heroes for a long time.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Well, I believe that a hookah has a modern stepchild called e-sigs. Vaping, you know?

My comment was not well thought-out. Yes, a hookah can be used as a water pipe, but also as an opium device. The caterpillar in Alice through the Looking Glass, sitting a toadstool, wasn't packing water in his pipe.

Ah, how would I never know this stuff? I've never used recreational substances stronger than menthol cough drips.

Name:  modern-art-sig.gif
Views: 725
Size:  5.0 KB

Default Re: Retouching a photo with XD

Your retouch looks marvelous Gare. I can't really tell what you did. I assume the left side is the image with all the gunk removed, while the right shows the text you added. Is that correct?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

OK Thanks Gare. I still think maybe you could modify that image by adding a hose, mouthpiece, and some smoke to draw one, but then maybe that would not be appropriate here.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Nice cover retouch Gary. You had already done some retouching when you took the screenshot (and so well I didn't notice until I saw the original) ... This is the original cover Larry.

Name:	2018.08.05_19h44m21s_003_.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	121812

In my opinion this one (the cover that is) is even uglier. At least the font on Charlize's cover had a little elegance.

Name:	2018.08.05_19h41m03s_002_.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	121811
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hookah's Bazzar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hookahs-bazzar.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	121813  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Retouching a photo with XD

Let me try to explain visually, with a different example, Larry. The text was both in front of and behind her. It took 93 shapes, with different gradients and transparencies.

Name:	charlese thumb.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	121819

More obvious now?

Name:  reall-small-thank-you.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  18.2 KB