Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Monotony

This is mostly an image using Xara.

The perspective, composition, the lines.

Then I made a bitmap copy and smeared it around a little with ArtRage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monopoly realestate painted.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	121775[

Name:  inside out guy.png
Views: 695
Size:  6.5 KB

Default Re: Monotony

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    This is mostly an image using Xara.

The perspective, composition, the lines.

Then I made a bitmap copy and smeared it around a little with ArtRage.

Name:	monopoly realestate painted.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	121775[

Name:  inside out guy.png
Views: 695
Size:  6.5 KB
    This image is OK, the perspective adequate. If I were doing it I would change the lighting a little so the shade side would be darker and the eve would cast a shadow on the sun side, this would give it more depth, separate the planes, and help describe the structure. You might need to force the sun side sunnier while keeping the colors you have, change the cast ground shadow to reflect the change in sun angle. the value you used on the soffit appears more or less correct but it's hard to tell just yet. Certainly the cast shadow on the building should be the darkest, and shade side value somewhere in between the valuer of the cast shadow and the sun side with the soffit being lighter than either. If I have time tomorrow I'll do a put some transparencies over your image and make any other modifications I deem necessary for you. Hope I'm not being too critical. Mostly what I see is a value problem.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    This image is OK, the perspective adequate. If I were doing it I would change the lighting a little so the shade side would be darker and the eve would cast a shadow on the sun side, this would give it more depth, separate the planes, and help describe the structure. You might need to force the sun side sunnier while keeping the colors you have, change the cast ground shadow to reflect the change in sun angle. the value you used on the soffit appears more or less correct but it's hard to tell just yet. Certainly the cast shadow on the building should be the darkest, and shade side value somewhere in between the valuer of the cast shadow and the sun side with the soffit being lighter than either. If I have time tomorrow I'll do a put some transparencies over your image and make any other modifications I deem necessary for you. Hope I'm not being too critical. Mostly what I see is a value problem.
    Huh? Larry, you sound like a disgruntled teacher with a big, red pen who will show the pupil how such architectural art impressions ought to be done!

To me it's yet another show of Gare's creative genius that seems to be able to, seemingly effortless, produce all these 'little' works of art in an endless flow of styles and techniques. Humbling but also deeply inspirational.

Be honest Larry, would you off the top of your head have come up with a image as Gare as shown. I know I for one would never have dreamed of it and what is shown is why Gary is a walking art, vector and so on Master. He's just a genius and we should be thankful he shares it with all at Tg.

Not getting at you Larry but just reflect on what so many learnt from G.B. over the years and I suspect you will have been one amongst the many. I have the utmost respect for G.B. as I do for G.P. and I don't think I would be telling them how it should be done! it's called respect.

Stygg

the piece in question is generic

make a basic image and swirl it around in artrage [or program of choice] - this is what students do in art school...

now don't get me wrong - when Gare does the 3D stuff he is a master... but this particular piece is different

Gare is quite entitled to do exactly what he wants, but lets not lose our sense of perspective [pun intentional] here...

judge the piece for what it it is, not who made it...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi stygg, Larry,, all—

Thanks for the feedback and please let me say I accomplished something I’d hoped for: group participation on tg. Yes, I did think enough of the Monopoly hotel and house pseudo painting to post it here, but fool disclosure is that I’m weak with perspective using drawing software and this was a chance to tighten up some of my skill. So it’s as personal piece and I probably should have typed “C&C welcome”, so Larry’s post didn’t come out of nowhere.

In any event, Larry was being a good and useful member as a critic, as was stygg for “moderating” my little gallery here. I appreciate the thought and am very pleased we have a dialog going on here.

Because tg is so underpopulated, I saw a tumbleweed rolling down Main Street.

Name:  Smily-FINAL.gif
Views: 442
Size:  2.5 KB

My Monotony study eventually lead to an attempt to create an entire scene, in a photorealistic style, and my viewpoint deliberately low to suggest a larger scale then you usually see if you’re over 3’ 7”.

Name:	M-bored.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	121781

Here’s something was primarily to experiment with a Wacom Intuos Pro Paper Edition I had on loan. I’ve almost never used a tablet and stylus my entire time with a computer. I don’t know how I’d have drawn all the shading on the toast with the Pen tool. With the Wacom, it’s “daub, daub, daub” and before I knew it, I had a piece that really liked. The waft of steam is out of Flame Painter, something like $50 US and although All it does is stylize smoke, it’s save my Keative Kiester enough times that it’s a “keeper”.

Name:	Toast final.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	121780

Thank you for your honesty/insight, handrawn. I did do it as a personal, fairly trivial piece, but as I mentioned, I just pulled it out of a folder to draw (pun there) out some new and existing members to get the circulation going a little on tg.

BTW, Larry, thanks for sending the music video. Loved it, very sensitive!

Like me.

Gare

Default Water Pistol

A WIP. And has been so for about a year (!) because m ore in theory than in practice, I have to work for a living. Because the admin tells me to.

Name:	space-pistol.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	121784

I just have admired the design of a really good water pistol, and occasionally organize controlled mayhem situations in the back yard with the neighborhood kids. WE do not have helicopter parents in our neck of the woods!

This is the first time I've drawn one, and the first time I used an existing product as a reference. My "model" for this session set me back $1.69 + NYS tax.

I've modeled two others over the years—I'll put them on my Non-Xara art soon.

My Best,

Gary

Name:  q.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  4.3 KB

Default Re: Water Pistol

A WIP. And has been so for about a year (!) because m ore in theory than in practice, I have to work for a living. Because the admin tells me to.

Name:	space-pistol.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	121784

I just have admired the design of a really good water pistol, and occasionally organize controlled mayhem situations in the back yard with the neighborhood kids. WE do not have helicopter parents in our neck of the woods!

This is the first time I've drawn one, and the first time I used an existing product as a reference. My "model" for this session set me back $1.69 + NYS tax.

I've modeled two others over the years—I'll put them on my Non-Xara art soon.

My Best,

Gary

Name:  q.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  4.3 KB
    MAN!
    I wish I had your eye for shading and lighting!!!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Anxious pumpkin

Hi, Ron—

I discovered after playing with what is now an entry-level modeling program that I had no problem navigating the representation of 3D space on (or in) the modeling window. Maybe being left-handed, or just plain weird helped.

Now that a significant portion of working in a modeling program tucked away, I had almost a year for nothing else to do but work with CorelDRAW v2, and a modeling program. I had to have bilateral hip replacements and once I learned how to approach the P{C side-saddle style, I practiced and practiced.

By creating scenes that have lighting, reflections on objects, and shadows, I saw how a simulation of real-world stuff should look, Imitation, imitation, imitation in CorelDRAW, and then in Xara. and more than 20 years later, the "extras" in a drawn scene are more easy for me to approximate.

THe best feedback device ever taught to me was from the book, Drawing ion the Right side of the Brain.

"Draw what you see, not what you think you see."

{People draw smilies to represent a human face because they're not looking, examining a human face. These people presume an eye looks like a dot, a smile is totally contorted to go from ear to ear.

A good teacher of physical art would tell you to draw a still life, and a critique of it is simple. If the fruit or whatever don't look like the source, you're not looking at it correctly.

This is a cartoon, drawn out of my mind (I'm frequently out of my mind) with no reference. Once I had a pencil sketch of it the living room real world, I scanned it and then put the bitmap in Xara, locked on a bottle layer.

Then the textures and colors. You'll see an awful lot of shapes in the wireframe version. Look at the close-up. All those different shapes have slightly different shades of orange. I think I showed, a long time ago, how to make clouds by adding alter after layer with different gradients and transparency values.

This is how I achieved a mottled surface, suggesting bumps, on the pumpkin skin.

Name:	screaming pumpkin.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	121788

Name:  alarm-clock.gif
Views: 457
Size:  9.0 KB

Hi stygg, Larry,, all—

Thanks for the feedback and please let me say I accomplished something I’d hoped for: group participation on tg. Yes, I did think enough of the Monopoly hotel and house pseudo painting to post it here, but fool disclosure is that I’m weak with perspective using drawing software and this was a chance to tighten up some of my skill. So it’s as personal piece and I probably should have typed “C&C welcome”, so Larry’s post didn’t come out of nowhere.

In any event, Larry was being a good and useful member as a critic, as was stygg for “moderating” my little gallery here. I appreciate the thought and am very pleased we have a dialog going on here.

Because tg is so underpopulated, I saw a tumbleweed rolling down Main Street.

My Monotony study eventually lead to an attempt to create an entire scene, in a photorealistic style, and my viewpoint deliberately low to suggest a larger scale then you usually see if you’re over 3’ 7”.

Name:	M-bored.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	121781

Here’s something was primarily to experiment with a Wacom Intuos Pro Paper Edition I had on loan. I’ve almost never used a tablet and stylus my entire time with a computer. I don’t know how I’d have drawn all the shading on the toast with the Pen tool. With the Wacom, it’s “daub, daub, daub” and before I knew it, I had a piece that really liked. The waft of steam is out of Flame Painter, something like $50 US and although All it does is stylize smoke, it’s save my Keative Kiester enough times that it’s a “keeper”.

Name:	Toast final.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	121780

Thank you for your honesty/insight, handrawn. I did do it as a personal, fairly trivial piece, but as I mentioned, I just pulled it out of a folder to draw (pun there) out some new and existing members to get the circulation going a little on tg.

BTW, Larry, thanks for sending the music video. Loved it, very sensitive!

Like me.

Gare
    Thanks for your kind remarks Gare, love the toast image. It was not my intention to offend anyone but to honestly offer some helpful criticism, not to make your image look like an Architectural Delineation.
    I know you are sensitive, like me that must be in an artists makeup and I applaud and respect your creative genius.
    I liked your comment" I saw a tumbleweed rolling down Main Street." and I too am concerned about that.

Glad you liked the song Gare.

@all I sort of feel like I stepped on some toes here. I don't post much of my work because I usually can"t find the cursor, at least it is extremely difficult, but I do the best I can on that front.
    Gare, I am about to see what I can do with your image. Aside from the values it just needs sharpening up a bit.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.