Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Results 1 to 10 of 144

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Liverpool, N.Y.
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

    I did this as a joke.

    Hopefully, you'll see it as a joke rather than going to JCPenny's and trying to buy one.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr Destructo.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	121682

    I did use Photoshop to create the halftone dots, but I could have easily created the dots in Xara as a seamless tiling pattern, if I had the time to do something that takes longer to do with the 2nd best tool.

    Beyond that, it's just the concept, paying attention to the style of late 1950s toys, and the layout. I see this as 2 of the size box flaps someone didn't throw away. In case there's an injury with the product and you want the address to throttle the CEO.

    Lordy, all the senseless violence these days...


    Name:  noodles-take-out.gif
Views: 556
Size:  7.6 KB

    Volume I is only a link away

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

    I like it, Gary. Those robot toys were very popular in the 50's. With lights, movement and sound effects.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Liverpool, N.Y.
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Re: Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

    My childhood, too. I think this bad boy tool two D cells.

    Oen question: does anyone prefer to see the finished art and a wireframe so you get a better idea how to reproduce effects. I listed them with Mr. Robot (that's an excellent TV series!) but much of the fun is education and provoking artists to riff on an idea


    Here a created a cylindrical-kinda shape in Cinema 4D, rendered it in limited shading mode and then auto-traced it (with Vector Magic) to turn the bitmap into a series of vector paths, and then imported them to Xara. The crude, limited number of vectors was deliberate, to give me room for smooth shading, using gradients, transparencies, and blends. I don't think Auto-tracing by any measure is finished art.

    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	building the bottle.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	121695



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished bottle.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	121696

    Tracing is not cheating. That was the subject of a Xara Xone tutorial years ago, I believe it's still up on YouTube.


    Name:  Thank-you-plate.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  24.5 KB

    My Best,

    Gary

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

    I always like to see the wire frames, Gary.
    Nice work on the jug "what cha ma thingy".It has a thick, substantive look to it (hard to describe).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I always like to see the wire frames, Gary.
    Nice work on the jug "what cha ma thingy".It has a thick, substantive look to it (hard to describe).
    It looks like it's made of material and not CG! Kind of looks porcelain...
    lots of my xara-made stuff ends up on my tumblr. NOT ALWAYS SAFE FOR WORK BUT MOSTLY IS

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Liverpool, N.Y.
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Re: Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

    Quote Originally Posted by hseiken View Post
    It looks like it's made of material and not CG! :) Kind of looks porcelain...
    or plastic. Thanks for that! I have been using a modeling/rendering/animation package two years before Xara came around, and I discovered that working with vector shapes in Xara is not all that different than working with vector paths in a modeler. Once that's accomplish, both the art of doing, and understanding what you're doing, plastic has certain characteristics, as does shiny, metal,m so once again t's time to bitch about MAGIX torpedoing Xara Xone. I have a video tutorial on the Xara Xone page of YouTube:



    If you'd like to compare a Xara shape in Preview mode to a medium difficult wireframe in a modeling/rendering software:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full-color.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	121728.

    It isn't 100% intuitive to model, as it might be a lot simpler in Xara to experiment tracing over 3D extruded shapes for example. I needed 5 more sides, 5 more views to make this composition totally posable. I could also have extruded this composition to 0.0001 depth, and the wireframe would look identical to a Xara wireframe.

    If you stretch your perception a little, a 3D object with no depth only has a front and a back side. A shape in Xara can be flipped—that's sort of like its back side.

    My Best.

    Gary

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    StPeters, MO USA
    Posts
    9,319

    Default Re: Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    My childhood, too. I think this bad boy tool two D cells.

    Oen question: does anyone prefer to see the finished art and a wireframe so you get a better idea how to reproduce effects. I listed them with Mr. Robot (that's an excellent TV series!) but much of the fun is education and provoking artists to riff on an idea


    Here a created a cylindrical-kinda shape in Cinema 4D, rendered it in limited shading mode and then auto-traced it (with Vector Magic) to turn the bitmap into a series of vector paths, and then imported them to Xara. The crude, limited number of vectors was deliberate, to give me room for smooth shading, using gradients, transparencies, and blends. I don't think Auto-tracing by any measure is finished art.

    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	building the bottle.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	121695



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished bottle.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	121696

    Tracing is not cheating. That was the subject of a Xara Xone tutorial years ago, I believe it's still up on YouTube.


    Name:  Thank-you-plate.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  24.5 KB

    My Best,

    Gary
    For me personally I don't think everything needs a wireframe although they can be helpful Gare. Great rendering of the " cylindrical-kinda shape", but you know what the stopper makes me think of a water pipe. So there is an idea for you, Just a few minor alterations to your drawing and you have a water pipe.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

    Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Liverpool, N.Y.
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Re: Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

    Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    For me personally I don't think everything needs a wireframe although they can be helpful Gare.
    I agree. My intention was to take members "behind the scenes" to explain why Xara and vector art isn't totally dissimilar to modeling and vectors.

    A water pipe, eh? You mean like a hookah?

    Or a Dr. Hookah?

    Name:  ViewMaster.gif
Views: 410
Size:  10.4 KB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Liverpool, N.Y.
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Monotony

    This is mostly an image using Xara.

    The perspective, composition, the lines.

    Then I made a bitmap copy and smeared it around a little with ArtRage.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monopoly realestate painted.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	121775[


    Name:  inside out guy.png
Views: 135
Size:  6.5 KB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    StPeters, MO USA
    Posts
    9,319

    Default Re: Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I agree. My intention was to take members "behind the scenes" to explain why Xara and vector art isn't totally dissimilar to modeling and vectors.

    A water pipe, eh? You mean like a hookah?

    Or a Dr. Hookah?

    Name:  ViewMaster.gif
Views: 410
Size:  10.4 KB
    I do not know what a hookah is. When I was very young I saw what was called a water pipe, maybe that is the same I don't know.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

    Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •