Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Continuing Ron and Gary's discusssion. All are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    All about time that is too short, money that is too small, and originality that is too hard!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suspicion.jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	121902
    Love that Gare. Picasso was one talented dude, Kind of like you. I used to not like his work but I have changed and now really like the abstract. Maybe because I have learned more about the guy, and his work.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Abstract art and artists

Truth be known, guys, Pablo was a commercial artist, not abstract, not expressionist. He was a chameleon of sorts—when an art style trended, he absorbed it into his repertoire—did it better usually than an original artist—and left a 7 or 8 figure estate for his kids.

Ironically, William Shakespeare was sort of a cultural/artistic shoplifter, too, but both he asnd Picasso gave more than they appropriated IMO.

I think it was Thomas Marlow, a peer in Shakespeare's age, who wrote Two Gentlemen of Verona, although historically Shakespeare is credited.

Ironically, an original though from Billy (?) was, "The play's the thing."

Meaning? No actor, or costume, or set design can substitute for the concept, the thought behind the play. Or the artwork, or the dance, you know?

Check out Jackson Pollack, Mondrian, Kandinsky, and especially one of my faves, Joan Miro (a guy) if you want inspiration to cut your teeth on Abstract Expressionism.

And a piece of absolute joy and expressionism, Nude Descending a Staircase, controversial at the time (because the word "nude" is in the title!) by Marcel DuChampo.

Fact be known, Picasso tracked DuChamp and his work scrupulously, imitated...sigh...prevailed.

Here's a crack at Miro using a photo of myself last year:

Name:	MeMirot-ish-2_FotoSketcher.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	121975

Cheers!

Gary

Default Re: Abstract art and artists

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Truth be known, guys, Pablo was a commercial artist, not abstract, not expressionist. He was a chameleon of sorts—when an art style trended, he absorbed it into his repertoire—did it better usually than an original artist—and left a 7 or 8 figure estate for his kids.

Ironically, William Shakespeare was sort of a cultural/artistic shoplifter, too, but both he asnd Picasso gave more than they appropriated IMO.

I think it was Thomas Marlow, a peer in Shakespeare's age, who wrote Two Gentlemen of Verona, although historically Shakespeare is credited.

Ironically, an original though from Billy (?) was, "The play's the thing."

Meaning? No actor, or costume, or set design can substitute for the concept, the thought behind the play. Or the artwork, or the dance, you know?

Check out Jackson Pollack, Mondrian, Kandinsky, and especially one of my faves, Joan Miro (a guy) if you want inspiration to cut your teeth on Abstract Expressionism.

And a piece of absolute joy and expressionism, Nude Descending a Staircase, controversial at the time (because the word "nude" is in the title!) by Marcel DuChampo.

Fact be known, Picasso tracked DuChamp and his work scrupulously, imitated...sigh...prevailed.

Here's a crack at Miro using a photo of myself last year:

Name:	MeMirot-ish-2_FotoSketcher.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	121975

Cheers!

Gary
    I think you did very well with this Gare. I have been checking out Miro for the past few hours, I don't know much if anything about art history sad to say, I get my art history education from books, and here from you. I also have a friend that was an art history major in college. Incidentally when I get a few minuts I have been working on your lime image, hopefully I can come up with something I like. At the moment I'm trying a cubism type thing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: Abstract art and artists

My favorite artists at the moment are Richard Schmid, Van Gogh, and Cezanne.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Default Artists

All very expressive creative geniuses.

I gravitate toward artists in history who "took a chance", for what that's worth. To go perhaps against a trend or popularize an unknown one.

Icons. for the past few years, have trended toward minimalism.

Isn't that exciting that a relatively new technology chooses to draw from a classical art form for its UI?

Overall, I think it's very exciting that with the reality of the net and digital tools, artists from all over the world can comment, share, and marvel at the collective genius of expressive people today.

Name:  yogabot.gif
Views: 173
Size:  5.7 KB