Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Default Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

I did this as a joke.

Hopefully, you'll see it as a joke rather than going to JCPenny's and trying to buy one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr Destructo.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	121682

I did use Photoshop to create the halftone dots, but I could have easily created the dots in Xara as a seamless tiling pattern, if I had the time to do something that takes longer to do with the 2nd best tool.

Beyond that, it's just the concept, paying attention to the style of late 1950s toys, and the layout. I see this as 2 of the size box flaps someone didn't throw away. In case there's an injury with the product and you want the address to throttle the CEO.

Lordy, all the senseless violence these days...

Name:  noodles-take-out.gif
Views: 1251
Size:  7.6 KB

Volume I is only a link away

Default Re: Bouton's stuff, Volume 2

I like it, Gary. Those robot toys were very popular in the 50's. With lights, movement and sound effects.

My childhood, too. I think this bad boy tool two D cells.

Oen question: does anyone prefer to see the finished art and a wireframe so you get a better idea how to reproduce effects. I listed them with Mr. Robot (that's an excellent TV series!) but much of the fun is education and provoking artists to riff on an idea

Here a created a cylindrical-kinda shape in Cinema 4D, rendered it in limited shading mode and then auto-traced it (with Vector Magic) to turn the bitmap into a series of vector paths, and then imported them to Xara. The crude, limited number of vectors was deliberate, to give me room for smooth shading, using gradients, transparencies, and blends. I don't think Auto-tracing by any measure is finished art.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	building the bottle.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	121695

Name:	finished bottle.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	121696

Tracing is not cheating. That was the subject of a Xara Xone tutorial years ago, I believe it's still up on YouTube.

Name:  Thank-you-plate.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  24.5 KB

My Best,

Gary

I always like to see the wire frames, Gary.
    Nice work on the jug "what cha ma thingy".It has a thick, substantive look to it (hard to describe).

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I always like to see the wire frames, Gary.
    Nice work on the jug "what cha ma thingy".It has a thick, substantive look to it (hard to describe).
    It looks like it's made of material and not CG! Kind of looks porcelain...
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

Quote Originally Posted by hseiken View Post
    It looks like it's made of material and not CG! :) Kind of looks porcelain...
    or plastic. Thanks for that! I have been using a modeling/rendering/animation package two years before Xara came around, and I discovered that working with vector shapes in Xara is not all that different than working with vector paths in a modeler. Once that's accomplish, both the art of doing, and understanding what you're doing, plastic has certain characteristics, as does shiny, metal,m so once again t's time to bitch about MAGIX torpedoing Xara Xone. I have a video tutorial on the Xara Xone page of YouTube:

If you'd like to compare a Xara shape in Preview mode to a medium difficult wireframe in a modeling/rendering software:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full-color.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	121728.

It isn't 100% intuitive to model, as it might be a lot simpler in Xara to experiment tracing over 3D extruded shapes for example. I needed 5 more sides, 5 more views to make this composition totally posable. I could also have extruded this composition to 0.0001 depth, and the wireframe would look identical to a Xara wireframe.

If you stretch your perception a little, a 3D object with no depth only has a front and a back side. A shape in Xara can be flipped—that's sort of like its back side.

My Best.

Gary

Great tutorial Gary
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Gary, you do the best tutorials. Just excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    My childhood, too. I think this bad boy tool two D cells.

Oen question: does anyone prefer to see the finished art and a wireframe so you get a better idea how to reproduce effects. I listed them with Mr. Robot (that's an excellent TV series!) but much of the fun is education and provoking artists to riff on an idea

Here a created a cylindrical-kinda shape in Cinema 4D, rendered it in limited shading mode and then auto-traced it (with Vector Magic) to turn the bitmap into a series of vector paths, and then imported them to Xara. The crude, limited number of vectors was deliberate, to give me room for smooth shading, using gradients, transparencies, and blends. I don't think Auto-tracing by any measure is finished art.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	building the bottle.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	121695

Name:	finished bottle.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	121696

Tracing is not cheating. That was the subject of a Xara Xone tutorial years ago, I believe it's still up on YouTube.

Name:  Thank-you-plate.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  24.5 KB

My Best,

Gary
    For me personally I don't think everything needs a wireframe although they can be helpful Gare. Great rendering of the " cylindrical-kinda shape", but you know what the stopper makes me think of a water pipe. So there is an idea for you, Just a few minor alterations to your drawing and you have a water pipe.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    For me personally I don't think everything needs a wireframe although they can be helpful Gare.
    I agree. My intention was to take members "behind the scenes" to explain why Xara and vector art isn't totally dissimilar to modeling and vectors.

A water pipe, eh? You mean like a hookah?

Or a Dr. Hookah?

Name:  ViewMaster.gif
Views: 1182
Size:  10.4 KB