Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: This Effect...

I've been looking everywhere for some clues on how this is done. No luck so far. Can someone tell me how its done or know of a link to a tutorial please?

The Effect is the large white/blue smokey streaks behind the players at this link: (CLick on the players top right to get to NIKEFUTBOL.COM at this link): http://www.nike.com/latin-america/es...dex_flash.html

Jas
    IP

I've been looking everywhere for some clues on how this is done. No luck so far. Can someone tell me how its done or know of a link to a tutorial please?

The Effect is the large white/blue smokey streaks behind the players at this link: (CLick on the players top right to get to NIKEFUTBOL.COM at this link): http://www.nike.com/latin-america/es...dex_flash.html

Jas
    IP

Hi Jasmine, welcome.

If you're talking about the blue & white streaked bg behind the 3 soccer players, then there's no for sure way of "guessing" at how that specific effect was done (by the person who created it). But there are some methods you can try, to get a very similar effect.

One i can think of right off, to get you started, is this:

1) Create a new layer above your photo.

2) Press the D key, change the black swatch to a blue of your choice,then apply the "Clouds" filter. Then press Ctrl+Shift+L to apply the Auto-Levels function.

3) Apply the "Motion Blur" to the clouds using a vertical angle and a fairly high amount/motion setting. If you want harder looking lines, add a bit of "Noise" to the clouds before blurring them.

4) Use the "Transform/Scale" function to shrink the width of the clouds. But leave the height the same. Then use the "Transform/Rotate" function and rotate the cloud streaks 45 degrees (or so) to the right. Use the Move tool then to move these cloud streaks into place over your photo.

5) Now you can mask out certain areas of the clouds (like where they are in front of a person), by 2 methods:
    A) Adding a Layer Mask to the clouds layer, and using a large Airbrush to paint black on the layer mask, over the parts of the clouds you want to hide.
    Or B) By adding a Layer Mask to the clouds layer and applying the Clouds filter to the layer mask. This will give a random effect, but you can use the Smudge tool to modify it if you want to.

Let me know if any of this confuses you. It's actually not a difficult effect to pull off to any degree.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP