you've made progress with P&G

looking at the compare list I am pleased to see:

Multi-core processors
    Shortcut key configuration
    Multi-core processors

are all there
    two missing for me are:

Auto Page Numbering [but not that big a deal]
    Scribble Select [crucial - I use alt+drag selection method as often as I use marque, it is frequently easier and quicker]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Default Re: Sad Day

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Mike, we did actually add many of the non-web Pro features to Photo & Graphic Designer back in the November 2017 update. As I think I've mentioned here before, if you're not interested in that 'webby stuff' or multi-page docs then it's well worth considering whether Photo & Graphic Designer will meet your needs - you can see a feature comparison table @ http://www.xara.com/designer-pro/compare/ and the PGD Release Notes @ http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/pho...phic-designer/.

Pro is the perfect option if you tick more than one box from web design, print design, flowing multi-page documents, illustration - and our surveys tell us that is exactly what the typical Pro user is doing.

Kate Moir
    Hi Kate--it is getting closer.

I use the heck out of Pantone/Other Spot color models. So for myself, I would like to see XP&GD end up having:

Advanced text flow & column controls
    Auto Hyphenation
    PANTONE® color support

XPS importing I have used since it was incorporated, but I likely could do without it as I can convert to PDF.

But spot color support is needed for myself to make the switch, and:

To clarify about pages, XP&GD can have multiple pages, correct? And is there a page size limit--because once that was lifted from XDP, I have used it a lot as well. Please let me know about these two things.

And as long as the OpenType features being developed always make there way into XP&GD and once at least spot color support is added, then I think I would be happy.

So what would be a downgrade price?
    IP

I'll just add I was assuming it would do multiple pages, without page size limit.. so thanks Mike for picking that up...
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I'll just add I was assuming it would do multiple pages, without page size limit.. so thanks Mike for picking that up...
    Yep, that's my assumption that anyone with XP&GD could verify. It's just the way Kate's wording & the Xara site is worded I am uncertain about multi-page.

The page size limitation has never been highlighted as being a new thing (that I can remember) and was actually during a test that I discovered and, if I recall, was confirmed as being changed from 96" to 700+ inches by Bhavesh. It was considered an undocumented experimental feature. I did add some thoughts about limitation in that thread. But I am glad it wasn't followed as I have produced some banners for a booth at 28' & 36', and several posters that were 10' tall and 6' wide that previous to XDP365 I could output even with the trick to make a larger than 96" dimension.

Mike
    IP

a bit of history - complete with input from Charles Moir.... them was the days....

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...r-change/page3
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

a bit of history - complete with input from Charles Moir.... them was the days....
    There's at least one other thread were I was involved as well.

OK. I downloaded and installed the trial of XP&GD.

And I am happy, more or less. Probably more so than less so...

Multiple pages? Yes.
    Large Page sizes? Yes.

Pantone support? Yes, actually. It's incorrect to say XP&GD doesn't support spot color, it does. Xara/Magix just doesn't install the palettes is all. But I simply copied mine from XDP. Same with my templates. And my non-spot color palettes. They all work just fine. Of course, no that I am mentioning the artificial "non-support" for spot color, perhaps Xara will hard-code the limitation--but they should not do so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002008.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	121662

So for me, hyphenation support would be the last item as I can fake the multi-column thing but it would be nice that I didn't have to.
    IP

which just leaves something new required to actually prise money from punter

so far ver 15 has been a complete pigs-ear - what really got to me was the thought that there would be those who were entitled to ver 15.0, but who would have had to renew to get ver 15.1 by the time it arrived - ther is nothing polite I can say to such a situation...
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

which just leaves something new required to actually prise money from punter

so far ver 15 has been a complete pigs-ear - what really got to me was the thought that there would be those who were entitled to ver 15.0, but who would have had to renew to get ver 15.1 by the time it arrived - ther is nothing polite I can say to such a situation...
    Additional OT Features are being added.

But as far as drawing improvements (like for brushes, etc.) I have no idea about. Extended brush support doesn't affect me much, but does many other people. Other things do somewhat affect me, but really I've got some work-arounds that I have done since v.6 that it falls into the "it would be nice" category.

The main thing that does affect me in XDP and would apply to XP&GD are the import/export filters for AI/EPS. PDF import/export has seen love for just about every version. Word filters have also. But when attempting to play nice with other applications and for exporting EPS files for stock sites or just interaction with other applications, EPS export needs some love.

So really, for myself, I would just like to know if there is a down-grade path and trust that spot color support won't be actually removed and hope that including a couple other XDP text-functions would be ported as well.

Mike
    IP

Oh, and I forgot to add the following that is problematic in XDP and XP&GD.

That is the print on all plates doesn't actually work on spot color plates, which makes a problem for package & t-shirt designing. Adding the special Registration color and making that hit all plates would likely obviate the issue altogether with print on all plates for reg targets, fold lines, cut lines, etc.
    IP

And yet another addendum.

I look at the spot color issue in XP&GD as a sales opportunity. Add the spot color palettes to the installer and make a big deal about it on the What's New page for XP&GD.

And formally add the page size things. That too is a big deal for some.
    IP