Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad Day

Default Re: Sad Day

currently my upgrade offer 'Valid until July 26,2018' [sic] is 89 GBP which I am sure is less than 129 EU - the whole pricing system seems dogy to me

but from my point of view I would get nothing at all useful for the money, so yes it would still be a factor

It might be reassuring if someone not connected to magixara posted up an analysis of what they received and how, for them, it was value for money - general comments are all very well, and support for the company understandable [done that myself in the past] - but to my knowledge no one has enthused about the 365 updates in the way we used to about the annual updates back in the day... I think that says a lot.....
    Last edited by handrawn; 20 July 2018 at 07:28 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I am also not upgrading for those petty nicknacks offered.
    And indeed the upgrade pricing seems strange yet again.
    If 89 pounds is the starting point, the dollar price should be 116 and the euro price should be 99
    Since Xara is an european company it should be based on the euro.
    But it seems to me that the european members get squeezed the most as opposed to the Brits or the Americans.
    IP

I think Magix is that desperate to push the online thingy down our throats by keeping the desktop pricing high.
    When Xara was a small company in Gaddesden,I could relate to the costs and the differences in pricing due to shipping costs and the administration of the orders.
    But now with a big international owner it should be cheaper to handle only downloadables in an automated way.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    currently my upgrade offer 'Valid until July 26,2018' [sic] is 89 GBP which I am sure is less than 129 EU - the whole pricing system seems dogy to me
    So, customers in the UK pay 89 GDP while those on the continent pay 115,50 GDP (€ 129)?! Quite an amazing and inexplicable difference but I agree, still way too much for what's being offered.
    IP

it's a big difference - too big to be explained by different VAT rates alone I would have thought
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Too pricy for Canadian $149 for upgrade.
    IP

That would be roughly the equivalent of 96,50. So, the Canucks have the best deal!
    IP

Bear in mind that Magix sell in many different countries, languages and currencies - from Roubles to Rands. Far more than Xara. They also do lots of offers, not necessarily the same offer in every country at the same time. This is all great news for the reach of Xara products, but makes it difficult to make comparisons between someone upgrading from v9 to v15 today in North America with someone else upgrading from 12 to 15 yesterday in Australia. That way madness lies! And that's before you even consider the nightmare of different tax rates in the EU alone.

Another thing to remember is that Xara *also* did a lot of offers, in particular we always had a launch offer on upgrades when we released a new version - and that is why some of you are finding that an upgrade costs more than your last one from Xara while others are finding it cheaper. You will be happy to hear that I have observed that *on average* Magix are actually charging less for upgrades than Xara did!

Having said all that, yes we have fixed prices in different currencies, exchange rates move and sometimes prices no longer sync. I mention this last so you can see that it might not be as simple as that.

Kate Moir
    IP

Kate, I use to upgrade every year. Up until version 11, that upgrade cost $99 USD. Version 11 was $139 USD. A $40 jump was a large one. The current offer I have is (if I recall properly) $129 USD. Better than v.11.

If/When P&GD obtains all of what XDP has sans webby stuff, I'll gladly move that direction.

I would encourage Xara/Magix to review the prices vs. capabilities versus the competition (i.e. Serif's Affinity Designer) even though I am pretty certain y'all have done so and likely have done so more than once.

In many ways AD is more capable than XDP though lacking in just a few functions. By, or sometime within, the version 2 cycle, AD will fully surpass XDP. It's a $50 USD purchase with about a $35 USD upgrade path. I am not suggestion that XDP be reduced in price even though it is way overpriced. But if Xara P&GD had XDP's capabilities (sans webby stuff) it may find wider adoption at its current price point.

Best regards, Mike
    IP

Mike, we did actually add many of the non-web Pro features to Photo & Graphic Designer back in the November 2017 update. As I think I've mentioned here before, if you're not interested in that 'webby stuff' or multi-page docs then it's well worth considering whether Photo & Graphic Designer will meet your needs - you can see a feature comparison table @ http://www.xara.com/designer-pro/compare/ and the PGD Release Notes @ http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/pho...phic-designer/.

Pro is the perfect option if you tick more than one box from web design, print design, flowing multi-page documents, illustration - and our surveys tell us that is exactly what the typical Pro user is doing.

Kate Moir
    IP