Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sad Day

Default Re: Sad Day

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    perhaps someone will confirm that the newly created Xara GmbH is a wholly owned subsidiary of Magix [or not] .... ?
    I'm intrigued who else might own it and appropriate the Xara logo and the online handiwork and trick Magix and Xara UK staff into supporting it?

I would imagine that Charles sold Xara to Magix with an agreement to carry on with Xara for a set period as a transition agreement. There is a new UK Xara CEO, how clear must the writing on the wall be?

The Xara started by Charles is no more. Xara is basically a brand owned by Magix now. I've seen it in countless other companies and often the original brand name is eventually dropped.
    IP

It's just cashing in on the last remains of what xara once was and before the online-designer becomes the main program(if it isn't already)
    It will probably become an app to run on any platform.
    Xara will be in our memories.
    It had great working programs.
    It's sold and sold out and they sold out us.
    Last edited by haakoo; 24 July 2018 at 12:18 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Kate, the question is Steam users get XDPX15 at a vastly cheaper price than we do through the Update Service. Why are these prices not favourably adjusted as I believe the Steam fee for moderate sales is as much as 30%? Loyalty to Xara is squandered if Magix pockets its cut before any gets to Xara through the Update Service and Magix gets it all, seemingly, through Steam sales. The second question is how is XDPX claimed to be marketed as developed and published by Magix. Where is Xara in all this?

Acorn
    Magix Software distribute our desktop titles (see https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...S-WITH-PARTNER) so don't worry, we get revenue whatever channel they sell through! I don't know much about Steam but I have been asked similar questions about Amazon special offers before, and I suspect the answer is similar - they are a law unto themselves and while the logic behind their pricing decisions isn't always obvious to us, they normally have a higher plan! In this instance it looks like a temporary special offer, and it looks like a good deal (though bear in mind that Steam versions are somewhat different - I'm told no hosting including, no Update Service and bear in mind that they don't sell upgrades, so you have to repurchase for updates).

Good spot on the developer, will ask them to change that (assuming it can be set on a product by product basis in one channel).

Kate Moir
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Magix Software distribute our desktop titles (see https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...S-WITH-PARTNER) so don't worry, we get revenue whatever channel they sell through! I don't know much about Steam but I have been asked similar questions about Amazon special offers before, and I suspect the answer is similar - they are a law unto themselves and while the logic behind their pricing decisions isn't always obvious to us, they normally have a higher plan! In this instance it looks like a temporary special offer, and it looks like a good deal (though bear in mind that Steam versions are somewhat different - I'm told no hosting including, no Update Service and bear in mind that they don't sell upgrades, so you have to repurchase for updates).

Good spot on the developer, will ask them to change that (assuming it can be set on a product by product basis in one channel).

Kate Moir
    Kate, thank you. I have never enjoyed the Steam or amazon reseller approach and now we can advise the risk of no Update Service, no hosting (which would drop the price by £23.30 anyhow) and critically no bug updates.

You pay your money and take your chance.
    Caveat emptor,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

All,

Xara is an independent company and comprised of multiple entities like every other international company. I am the CEO, Charles is deeply involved all things product, Kate is as active as ever, and all of the core team is as involved as always. We are one. Bellevue Investments is our lead investor as highlighted in the recent TechCrunch article. MAGIX Software has no ownership in Xara. This happened a few years ago when Xara was spun out of MAGIX. As I stated in my Open Letter to you, Xara and MAGIX have had a long and prosperous sales and marketing distribution partnership and with the recent announcement, we are expanding the agreement to worldwide for our desktop solutions. This is in direct alignment with our initiatives at Xara and the global expansion happening at MAGIX.

FYI, Wikipedia is outdated and will be updated accordingly.

Hope we can put this topic to rest.

Kind regards,
    Matt
    CEO of Xara
    IP

I'd suggest that a moderator remove my posts (including this one) and perhaps a couple of others, so that misleading information (found online) is removed from the thread.
    IP

@MB365

Matt,

Thank you for clarifying this. I suggest that you create another message with this information and put it as a sticky.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)
    IP

Thank you for the clarification Matt; appreciated
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Thanks for the clarification on the business relationships.

It is said that the investment should also reflect the desktop version.
    But the recent development(s) doesn't show anything confirming your statement.
    I ,for one, would rather see you reflecting on this as it is much more important to the tg community.
    And yes I read the reaction here
    But if you made the javascript engine available for us we could have made the text in shapes
    And if you created a dedicated forum for resources and market it as a market we could have made templates and content (and made a buck or two of it and have freebees for users,as we see fit)
    All this could have made you have more resources and time to develop real tools and made existing ones better.
    Besides this you get more loyal and dedicated users.
    Last edited by haakoo; 25 July 2018 at 12:13 PM.
    IP

@ haakoo, point noted about the SmartShape API. We haven't dropped the idea, but it is one of those things that tends to get pushed down the priority list.

This thread has ranged far and wide but I think everything has been addressed, so I'm going to close it now.

Kate Moir
    IP