Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Floor Shadow

Lightbulb Floor Shadow

Dear Xara...

After years of using Xara's text effects, I have just noticed that the Floor Shadow cannot be reversed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor Shadow.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	121622

"Inelegant" is the Xara Floor Shadow.
    It cannot be turned round so it produces the same effect as if the text were on the wall; the Wall Shadow is a completely different beast.

I have used 100 Steps Blend to realised both "Elegant" solutions.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Floor Shadow

Neither example of the "Elegant Shadow" are floor shadows. They are a 3D shadow.

Technically a floor shadow always begins at the base of the object and gets lighter and blurrier as it recedes. And Xara applications do that.

What cannot be done is casting the shadow to the front as if the object is backlit. Well, it can be done if the object is broke apart and the shadow is flipped/re-positioned/skewed. I've done this a lot.

Mike

me too - it was one of the first tricks I learnt on TG - convert to editable shapes then ungroup releases the shadow [but makes text uneditable of course]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    me too - it was one of the first tricks I learnt on TG - convert to editable shapes then ungroup releases the shadow [but makes text uneditable of course]
    Which is why I keep a copy of the live text/effect ff on the pasteboard. 'Cause sometimes I can't spel...

This is one reason I keep upgrading CorelDraw, btw. And as Corel has added a great 3D shadow feature in the current version, I'm really happy. I do like my 3D shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Neither example of the "Elegant Shadow" are floor shadows. They are a 3D shadow.
    Mike, I was only using them to demonstrate what I needed, which you and Steve have solved.

If Xara could include backlighting then this approach wouldn't be needed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

If Xara could include backlighting then this approach wouldn't be needed.
    Or just a shadow that can be pulled forward as well as backwards. Another example of an orphaned feature that has never been revisited.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Or just a shadow that can be pulled forward as well as backwards. Another example of an orphaned feature that has never been revisited.
    I agree, the shadow tool is getting on in years and should be reworked.

Until that happens I use for this purposes the plugin Eye Candy/Perspective Shadow by Alien Skin.
    Xara could probably go by that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perspectiveshadow.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	121625

I'm not sure that simply creating a back-lit shadow coming forward would do the job. You would still see the front of the letters front-lit.
    If you create your own you have the options of also creating a cast shadow and rim lighting( on the lettering face ).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handmade backlit shadow.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	121627