Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I import new brushes into Xara P&GD?

I've searched to see where the brushes are located and couldn't find the correct folder but even more importantly I could not find a way to import new brushes into Xara P&GD.

Secondly, can Xara import and use abr file extenstions? I ask because some of the brushes I intent to use have an abr file extension.

Default Re: How do I import new brushes into Xara P&GD?

you cannot import brushes created in other programs - in the case of abr [photoshop] I recall you can take the PNG they are made from and use it to make a xara brush but it will not be the same [a utility such has ABRviewer has been recommended for this in the past]

xara brushes are saved in .XAR format - default brushes are at:

C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\15\Templates\ENG\Brushes

change ver number if not using 15 - also if not using 64bit ver of program the folder will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\............

you need to manually copy a file containing your new brushes to this folder for them to be usable in a blank document in a fresh instance of the program - otherwise they are only saved in the files they are used in and only available until end of session

probably not a good idea to have too many loading at once
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

ps if you are using p&g you'll need to tweak program name in folder path as well
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you cannot import brushes created in other programs - in the case of abr [photoshop] I recall you can take the PNG they are made from and use it to make a xara brush but it will not be the same [a utility such has ABRviewer has been recommended for this in the past]

xara brushes are saved in .XAR format - default brushes are at:

C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\15\Templates\ENG\Brushes

change ver number if not using 15 - also if not using 64bit ver of program the folder will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\............

you need to manually copy a file containing your new brushes to this folder for them to be usable in a blank document in a fresh instance of the program - otherwise they are only saved in the files they are used in and only available until end of session

probably not a good idea to have too many loading at once
    Thanks for the help so far!
    I got the ABRviewer program and converted some of the brushes then manually placed them in the brushes folder, but I haven't been able to find any of the brushes (even the Xara ones that were already in that folder). How do I set Xara to use the different brushes?...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Where are your brushes.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	121623

You will need to create a brush from your abr files, but the other Xara brushes should be there.
    If you have opened a brush, to use it you normally need to be in the brush file.

EDIT: Have a look at Xara Resources and you will find many Xara brushes there.
    Last edited by wizard509; 16 July 2018 at 12:28 AM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Where are your brushes.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	121623

You will need to create a brush from your abr files, but the other Xara brushes should be there.
    If you have opened a brush, to use it you normally need to be in the brush file.

EDIT: Have a look at Xara Resources and you will find many Xara brushes there.
    I will once I find Xara Resources, or more accurately have the time to find it...lol.

But in the meantime; I must be doing something wrong. I have the png files in the appropriate folders but they still don't show up.

Am I supposed to import them somehow so the png files will work?

I figured it out that I had to import the png file and then "create brush". But now my issue is they are way to big and I can find anything that changes the size of the brush that will work. Even scaling it does nothing...

I will try rescaling the png file before creating the brush first.

I found the Xara resources but I have not been able to find any mountain brushes or anything for cartography just yet.
    Last edited by Madmax; 16 July 2018 at 02:35 AM. Reason: New info

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    I will once I find Xara Resources, or more accurately have the time to find it...lol.

But in the meantime; I must be doing something wrong. I have the png files in the appropriate folders but they still don't show up.

Am I supposed to import them somehow so the png files will work?

I figured it out that I had to import the png file and then "create brush". But now my issue is they are way to big and I can find anything that changes the size of the brush that will work. Even scaling it does nothing...

I will try rescaling the png file before creating the brush first.
    "re-scaling the png file before creating the brush first." Yes that should do it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.