Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: No one really wants Cloud based software

@daver1

I have a better analogy - cloud is like a public transport system rather than owning your own car - did i own a car when I lived and worked in London: no way

Cloud has not done MS or Adobe any harm, I don't see why it should Magixara if they get it right....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @daver1

I have a better analogy - cloud is like a public transport system rather than owning your own car - did i own a car when I lived and worked in London: no way

Cloud has not done MS or Adobe any harm, I don't see why it should Magixara if they get it right....
    @handrawn Not everyone has a public transport system. In America we have to own cars. We would be in trouble without one. Unless we lived in NYC. I still want my meals in front of me it tastes better that way

you are entitled to do what you want

BTW we don't necessarily have good or any public transport outside of conurbation in the UK; the analogy was one of service industry vrs ownership which is what it's really about?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve, I was aware we don't "own" the software. That's why I used the inverted comma's. The point I was making, was that I want "forever" software. That will work with my machine rather than have to buy it every year.

Also, and there may be LOTS of people disagree with me, but I don't even want updates (bug fixes, yes, but probably as downloadable patches). I want software that works and stays exactly as it was when I bought it. I dislike the idea that the software is updated until it no longer runs on my computer, and then I have to buy a new computer, and then the software is updated until it no longer runs on my computer, and then ... which is what windows is doing all the time.

People think their computers are getting slower, but it's not the case ... the software is getting updated, and using more of the resources, thus making the computers appear slower. They are ALWAYS the same speed as they were when they were bought.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sure Keith... and of course, philosophically speaking no-one owns anything, and nothing is forever... or at least you can't base your life on that, bad kama

I agree about constant updating being a pain - my andriod phone keep doing it, I don't want/need most of the apps and I don't need google ass[istant]

minor quibble - if your computer is solid state you have a fair point about the speed - but if it has platter HDDs these start to wear and slow down after time because they cannot physically access the data as fast as they age
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Also, and there may be LOTS of people disagree with me, but I don't even want updates (bug fixes, yes, but probably as downloadable patches). I want software that works and stays exactly as it was when I bought it.
    Keith, I understand the position of the first idea but eventually things do evolve or stagnate. My complaints with Xara have been we didn't buy into the Cloud for Xara to hide away what we thought was "forever" in terms of content: downloaded content was forever with version 10. It is cheaper and effortless to provide ongoing access to a Cloud repository forever. Then, the allure to new Customers is the mother-lode of several Gigabytes of rich Xara-centric content. It should not be leased back year-on-year like Dane Gelt for those who decide to stick with an application that is already adequate for their purposes.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Admittedly, but at that point, I have the option of buying evolved software further down the line, when my current software no longer fits my requirements.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ... but if it has platter HDDs these start to wear and slow down after time because they cannot physically access the data as fast as they age ...
    I admit that they do wear and slow down, but is it noticeable?
    Keith

Admittedly, but at that point, I have the option of buying evolved software further down the line, when my current software no longer fits my requirements.
    Keith, exactly and you shouldn't have the hiatus of no access to content in the gap. Rather Xara should be marketing its new benefits after inviting your input for new features.

A two-way street.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I admit that they do wear and slow down, but is it noticeable?
    if you have disk intensive work - eg database, real-time video editing, I'd say yes

otherwise it will depend how many process' you have running in the background....
    Nothing lasts forever...