Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No one really wants Cloud based software

I say this because of the trend where companies are trying to convince people that they do not need to own an actual program. I say people want to own a program and they do not want their data floating around on a server. People can try to defend that all they want but companies will find sales will go down.

Default Re: No one really wants Cloud based software

Absolutely agree ...

I want to "own" my software not lease it.

Also, the people who want everyone to work in the cloud are also assuming that everyone has a nice fast reliable internet connection. I'm lucky to get a consistent 2.5 MB ... I NEVER want to work in the cloud anyway. My data is MY DATA.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Keith - you do not own the software - you own a licence to use it - the licence forbids modification to the program code which remains the propeerty of the company - if the software requires activation and the company no longer exists and activation is therefore not possible, end of story... so, if you are that concerned about 'cloud', and activation over the internet is 'cloud', you will not be using xara software after about ver 6/7... [I forget for sure when the internet activation came in]
    [EDIT - lets emphasise this - the only difference between the '365' licence model and the previous xara licence model is that the previous licence is 'forvever' [subjrct to activation where applicable]; whereas the 365 model, whilst giving you this at the point at which you purchase/upgrade, also gives you an annual licence for improvements during the next 12 months subject to you not restoring your computer]

having got that out of the way; David what can I say except that I know people who love cloud software and use it all the time - just two of it's advantages are that you can work on lower spec portable devices, and the software is always up to date and fully compatible with the others that you work with - sure it is not going to be suitable for everyone, nor for every set of working conditions, and I appreciate the security aspect you and Keith mentioned.... but it is here, established and I don't think it is going away anytime soon

Xara are not [currently] suggesting the desktop vesion goes cloud - Xara Cloud is a different product to Designer pro you do not have to use it; I don't.

But I do use Office in the cloud, and Dropbox, and I would not want to be without them because working with others in different locations would take longer and be less efficient... in a nutshell, a lot more work...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Keith - you do not own the software - you own a licence to use it - the licence forbids modification to the program code which remains the propeerty of the company - if the software requires activation and the company no longer exists and activation is therefore not possible, end of story... so, if you are that concerned about 'cloud', and activation over the internet is 'cloud', you will not be using xara software after about ver 6/7... [I forget for sure when the internet activation came in]
    [EDIT - lets emphasise this - the only difference between the '365' licence model and the previous xara licence model is that the previous licence is 'forvever' [subjrct to activation where applicable]; whereas the 365 model, whilst giving you this at the point at which you purchase/upgrade, also gives you an annual licence for improvements during the next 12 months subject to you not restoring your computer]

having got that out of the way; David what can I say except that I know people who love cloud software and use it all the time - just two of it's advantages are that you can work on lower spec portable devices, and the software is always up to date and fully compatible with the others that you work with - sure it is not going to be suitable for everyone, nor for every set of working conditions, and I appreciate the security aspect you and Keith mentioned.... but it is here, established and I don't think it is going away anytime soon

Xara are not [currently] suggesting the desktop vesion goes cloud - Xara Cloud is a different product to Designer pro you do not have to use it; I don't.

But I do use Office in the cloud, and Dropbox, and I would not want to be without them because working with others in different locations would take longer and be less efficient... in a nutshell, a lot more work...
    Handrawn, The concept of the cloud is to take away more and more of what we 'own'. When we buy a piece of software when we possess it we 'own' it. The cloud makes our use of software dependent on logging into the cloud. It also requires the internet. I do not agree with Magix's making peoples pc's dependent upon the internet in order to use the software. That move was to pave the way for the cloud based software. I think your views are in the minority. I also think if people want to use the cloud then I say go ahead but I think the traditional buying and loading onto a pc should always be the way it is. I see this slow creep toward cloud based software. Many companies are doing it. All I can say is when companies do this they are going to push people away and they will find alternative software that allows people to 'own' an actual product. This concept of ownership will never go out of style.

Xara Cloud is one nascent example and while it does not have the same functionality as the feature-rich Xara Desktop applications, it may one day.

We have stated assurances from Xara that the Desktop applications are continuing to be developed and we have a Forum for Xara Cloud.

To better the Desktop application, try to use the free Starter Xara Cloud in collaboration with your Xara Desktop application and make recommendations on where Xara Cloud is short of or even missing the mark.
    We have the chance to forge the Xara Cloud and better our beloved Xara Desktop applications. I have seen little positive contribution in the Xara Cloud Thread, mainly because of poor initial product definition so let's change that from now.

I am reminded when Acorn Computing Group plc went to the wall and Olivetti bought it, it asked what a particular test rig was. So began (my history is probably off) the Acorn Archimedes, the Risc PC and ARM RISC chips (one in almost every Smarthhone in use).

Make Xara Great Again.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@ daver1

depends of course on whether you own a pc/mac - for example, many people do not, and do everything on their phone/tablet

on balance, when you look at the whole market across all disciplines and users of whatever discipline or generation, I don't see cloud reducing the number of users; in certain catagories it may, but there again in others the opposite will be true

ownership is not going to go out of style, true - but then neither is providing a service for those who do not have the time or inclination to maintain their own system[s]

I don't see it is an either/or - I see it as a choice

As far as magixara are concerned they are offering this choice; early days yet with the cloud, dragging feet with the desktop, but the choice is still there

internet activation is to [help] prevent piracy and the use of hacked software...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by acorn
    To better the Desktop application, try to use the free Starter Xara Cloud in collaboration with your Xara Desktop application and make recommendations on where Xara Cloud is short of or even missing the mark
    no layers
    no smart grouping
    no bitmap tracer
    no blend tool
    no mould tool
    no.....

well you get the idea
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    no layers
    no smart grouping
    no bitmap tracer
    no blend tool
    no mould tool
    no.....

well you get the idea
    I do indeed but with Xara it has to be larded on: what you have tried to achieve, what is missing in Xara Cloud, what would better it and why. One fix at a time.

All very tedious but necessary.

In the PowerPoint substitute user story, Xara Cloud does not handle step or slide transitions. I bemoaned this and had an email back saying Xara GmbH is on the case.
    A small acknowledgement for me and a better product for Xara.

Once Xara "rediscovers" TG excellence and expertise, it might start listening properly across the board.

Ever hopeful,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

When I started this thread I did so with the intention of stating how I viewed the cloud concept as a users 'program' on a home based computer. I see little sense in using a cloud based software. It's like having a meal but you can't actually eat it because it is not in front of you. It's on someone else's table. The concept is strange. I see no reason why anyone would want that. That's why when I see someone trying to pitch the idea as beneficial as rather odd. It goes against the norm. It comes down to ownership that of buying a product and actually getting one. The idea of the cloud is a money generator in that one must keep paying to use the service. That's why ownership as in having possession of a product is the desired way to go. And why people are so vocal about ownership vrs leasing a service. My intention is to make it plain and clear to Xara/Magix if you go this route and Neglect the desktop or try to make it more cloud like you will lose customers in a major way. Affinity Designer has already taken many customers away from you. Basically if you are in this for the money stick to the traditional desktop product. But hey companies don't listen many times they listen to some people with a 'big idea' and end up running things into the ground. The problem is once people get tired enough they move on to other programs. Hopefully someone from Xara will take heed..

@acorn

eleven years I have been a member here, fifteen years I have been using xara software; there are others such as youself and gary who's usage goes back quite a bit further....

I remember Zeb saying a year or three ago that he did not care whether the interface was dark or light or whatever, because he spent hardly anytime looking at it, he was looking at the work....

similarly I do not care which program I use just so long as it is cost-effective, efficient and has the tools I need

I hope you get takers for the task in hand, but whilst on the one hand I would not wish to go back to a cloud-less project management system, as far as asset creation goes I no longer use xara enough to merit the effort.....
    Nothing lasts forever...