Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Original Xara site different from what appears online

Don't know how to fix this. I use Xara WD and FileZilla, and just switched hosts for a site I do. (There may be some people reading this who were extraordinarily patient and helpful with another issue) This time, having just uploaded the site to the new host, the pages are screwy. Home page is fine, but the others have some serious differences from the .web file. Black text turned red, and background color (or colour) disappeared; they should all have the same background as the home page, which IS there. It's certainly there on the original Xara .web page. (The site is www.salisburyfallfestival.org)

Original
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	121588

and what gets published
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web-version.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	121589

Thank you!!
    Last edited by PeeWee; 12 July 2018 at 02:48 AM.

Default Re: Original Xara site different from what appears online

PeeWee, first off, try pressing Ctrl+F5 o clear your browser cache.

In mine, I am seeing your red text, which implies the upload was not done properly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Acorn, I have cleared the cache a few times, as well as deleted and re-uploaded all the files. How could the upload not be done properly?

Hi PeeWee, can you copy the Activities page (in the P & L gallery, right click over the page and select Copy Page) and paste it into a new .web document and then attach it here so we can look at it please?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg Bramhill, I'd be absolutely delighted to!

activities.web

Hi again PW. I've looked at your web file and uploaded it via Xara's built-in ftp utility also via the ftp program Filezilla. Neither displays the issue you highlight.

DEMO via XARA'S FTP

DEMO via FILEZILLA
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

One issue, and I don't believe it's the cause of your problem, but look at text Styles. All your text seems to be in the style 'normal' but there are many variations, including size, weight, font & colour. Very difficult to edit over a single page, let alone a multi page site.
    Egg

Oh lordy, now I don't know what to do. I've just once again deleted all the files on the server and re-uploaded, and still have the same problem on that page - different fonts and font sizes and colours. Also, the same lack of background colour on 3 of the four pages. If the "activities" page worked for you, then what I might do is create a new website altogether using the page copy and paste option.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    One issue, and I don't believe it's the cause of your problem, but look at text Styles. All your text seems to be in the style 'normal' but there are many variations, including size, weight, font & colour. Very difficult to edit over a single page, let alone a multi page site.
    +1 Egg. I was puckering up to say the same.
    My other concern is the page length is placing a lot of detail for a user to find and review and for the editor to manage.

I, too, cannot get the page to fault on Preview, Export or Publish.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
    Oh lordy, now I don't know what to do. I've just once again deleted all the files on the server and re-uploaded, and still have the same problem on that page - different fonts and font sizes and colours. Also, the same lack of background colour on 3 of the four pages. If the "activities" page worked for you, then what I might do is create a new website altogether using the page copy and paste option.
    Uploaded as BINARY right? The first time I uploaded a website (using FileZilla) I ran into this with my host. Even though the web host says it is no longer necessary, I still upload as Binary to be on the safe side. If I used another FTP client I would have run into the same issue with that host.

John