Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Printer says " WRONG DIMENSIONS" Why?

I have "Xara Photo & Graphic Designer" and I set the page options to say "24x24" inches for a sign ( template of printer ) ... I export it to JPG or PNG file and set it for 300DPI in the export. I have locked the dimensions before exporting. I then export it and the dimensions change and the printer will not accept the 24x24 art work because it doesn't fit his template now ..... WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ... ANYBODY?

Why doesn't the page stay the same ?

How can I be sure to get a 24x24 sign to fit the template of the printer ? Ie: GotPrint

Any Help would be really appreciated

Thanks
    Larry

Default Re: Printer says " WRONG DIMENSIONS" Why?

basically the xara page size setting is the setting at 96dpi - if you are going to export the page at another dpi you will need to take that into account when you set the page size

sounds like you need to up the page size 96:300 [312.5 %]

EDIT: Let me clarify that, because I'm assuming you know how the interface works, you may not

having upped the page size by 312.5% export at 96dpi

then you will have the right size image for the printer at 300dpi

[final point - you could work at a a page size of 32% [300:96] of what you want and then export at 300dpi setting which will also work - if your work is pure vector it makes noo difference, but if your work has raster content then it does and this way may be better]
    Last edited by handrawn; 11 July 2018 at 02:02 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Why not export to a PDF?

why use xara?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sounds like the wrong printer if they are going to be that fiddly. If you send them a 24 x 24" document and it is a hair off, are you telling me they cannot correct the image? Feh!

Mike's suggestion is the best way to provide a file for printing.

EDIT: Let me clarify that, because I'm assuming you know how the interface works, you may not

having upped the page size by 312.5% export at 96dpi

then you will have the right size image for the printer at 300dpi
    Why not set the page size to the exact size, and export at 300dpi? This is what I have always done and I have never had a problem.

You are essentially creating a file that is 7200 x 7200.

trouble with that Gary is that if you create a 7200 pixel image and you export it at 300 dpi it should be increased on export to 22500 pixels - you should export at 96 dpi to keep it at 7200 pixels

[interestingly at this level you hit a limit and it will export at 96 dpi regardless of whether try you exporting at 300 dpi setting or not - I tried it and got the same image size with both settings - this does not happen with smaller exports such as the one the OP was originally trying (I'm using designer pro ver12)]

could be an online printer, they are not all flexible...
    Nothing lasts forever...

You export it at 96dpi. The size of the image is not dependent on the resolution as Mike will step in and assert. An image at 7200 pixels reduced to 24" will have a resolution of 300dpi/ppi.

What matters is the pixels size of the image.