Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Slow Web Publishing & Viewing

This thread might help re attaching xar/web files:

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...812#post597812
    Egg
    Endangered Species
    HP xw9400 W/S / 2 x Dual Core AMD / RAM 16 GB / 240 GB Kingston SSD / 120 GB Kingston SSD / 500 GB HDD / ATI Radeon HD 5450 / Windows 10 / 64 Bit /
    Xara Designer Pro X (12 or 365)

copy of index page-02.xar

Ok try this one. Thanks again.

Okay Donna, I've looked at your page and can't see any issue with the menus. So I published the page to my website and it loads fast as expected, so I expect it may have to do with the host (Magix?) or a corrupt file on the server.

Here's the page on my server. Does it load slowly?

LINK
    Egg
    Endangered Species
    HP xw9400 W/S / 2 x Dual Core AMD / RAM 16 GB / 240 GB Kingston SSD / 120 GB Kingston SSD / 500 GB HDD / ATI Radeon HD 5450 / Windows 10 / 64 Bit /

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Here's the page on my server. Does it load slowly?

LINK
    Egg, all but instant. Mega-mega-throttling from Magix?

Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

Thanks for the confirmation Acorn. Donna's buttons have the url's set to
    ./index.htm
    and similar
    ./about-us.htm
    I'm not sure what this form of url means. I know
    ../index
    links to the directory above but not sure what the single dot does. Any idea?
    Egg
    Endangered Species

Egg we have no clue what 1 dot or 2 means. We loaded originally from a Xara template then took the nav bars and the bottom bar from different templates. So when you said nav bar we thought that was probably it but it seems that it works great on yours and think our original thought and Acorn are right and the hosting is not good. We also found (making the file to post here) the Explore Web Space (WEBFTP) link button and tried that but after 52 minutes it was still said loading hourglassing with no data on the screen. If we can't even access the data it's no wonder it's so slow. Something sure ain't right!

Let's try tracking this further Donna. You haven't posted enough post at present to post a PM (Private Message). So to post your complete xar/web file you can do this via online services like Dropbox or Google Drive. So post your complete site to one of these and share the link.
    We can then download the whole site via a .xar/.web file and compare.
    Egg
    Endangered Species

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation Acorn. Donna's buttons have the url's set to and similar I'm not sure what this form of url means. I know links to the directory above but not sure what the single dot does. Any idea?
    Egg, you are right that starting with "../" moves one directory backwards and starts there. "./" is effectively a null operation; it means stay where you are in some operating systems. I would not use either in a URI.

Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

Another issue I have with your site in it's current state:

Once a bitmap image is loaded from the host server it is included within the browsers cache. So any new page doesn't require to download it again, it's held within your local computers cache. So if it's required to be loaded again it shouldn't require a fresh download, it should call that image from your local computer cache as a previously downloaded image file.

Your site doesn't appear to do this.

Meanwhile it's Friday night and I probably need to stop drinking
    Egg
    Endangered Species

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaH View Post
    We are using Xara Designer Pro X 15.1.0.53605 dl x64 May 3 2018.

We haven't tried any other method such as Filezilla, we have only published through the Xara program.

We have another Xara website at www.PhoenixGlass.biz that is very intense (63 pages and 2877 images). It is written and published in the same manner with the same Xara software over the years but hosted on a US webserver by Ipower that has no issues that we can complain about, when we view the pages they load instantly and publishing uploads changes and additions quickly.

We are thinking that the problems with the speed may be either the free hosting is throttled or limited or when we first started the site the software templates had the mobile version page included in it, which we deleted thinking that may be the problem but we didn't see a change. Maybe there is something in our Xara hosting index directory left over from that causing a problem. On the Ipower server we have the capability of viewing and editing on the hosting server but we have not found any thing like that on the Xara server.

As far as the viewing our speed is fine on everything else we view, seems the folks in Germany and now I see the chap above in England it loads fine for him too but they are a lot closer to the server than us, don't know that it matters. Here is a screenshot of what we see on our site at http://www.rotorwayfun.com/whats-new.htm
    If you are comfortable with poking around your US based server, create a subdirectory under the main directory for your other site (usually public_html) and call it anything you want (like rotorway or test) and publish your rotorway site there. You can then get to it by going to the home page of your glass biz and adding "/(subdirectory folder name you chose)/index.htm" to the url, without the quote marks. That should open up the rotorway site and you can see how fast it loads from that server.