Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web site within an Existing site? or How to/ advice please

Hi All

I hope you are well.

I have my website designed & have a property button on my floating navbar, I would like to link this to a property website where I can list properties for sale, rent etc...

Can anyone please advise how to link this & if any of the Xara catalogue content/sites can be linked/used for this.

My Xara product is: Xara web designer premium upgraded/loaded in Nov 2017.

Thank you in advance.

Regards Dave

Default Re: Web site within an Existing site? or How to/ advice please

Dave, you would need to create and have published your Property site somewhere so you have its address (URL, link).

There are 3 Real Estate templates in the Online content Catalogue > Websites > Business Themes > Real Estate > (Estate Agent 1, Estate Agent 2, Property Management) with 5 colour schemes. You ought to be able to pick and mix what you need from these.
    It is not clear if you are on Xara Web Designer Premium 15.0.0.52288 (DL x64) Nov 17 2017 because you are no longer in cover for the Update Service. If you are in cover, download the v15.1 update; it removes some bugs.
    If out of cover, i hope you have already downloaded these templates to you Local Designs gallery.

For your Property NavBar button, the link would be the full URL or relative path to the new Property website. (Web Properties >) Link > Link to Web or Email address: tick Correct automatically.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn
    Thanks for your prompt reply the version I have is XARA web designer premium is 15.0.0.52288 (DL x64) Nov 17 2017, so I think I can update OK?

Are you saying I would have to host this separate from my existing hosting company? or just a link to a main page of the real estate template?

I think I have downloaded the templates to my local designs but not sure how to find them on my laptop running windows 10, I have looked in my dave/local folder but I cant see it there.

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by Davora; 05 July 2018 at 03:29 PM.

Dave, the simplest way would be to create a sub-folder on your site and name it 'Properties'. Publish your properties website into that sub-folder. Then link to that sub-folder from your main sites navbar.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg
    I trust you are well :-) & thanks for your reply.

To clarify please;

I have a property button my my main nav bar, when you say create a sub folder do you mean a sub folder from the main nav bar? or elsewhere on the site? how would I incorporate the real estate template to that sub folder? This is something I haven't done before I have only created sub-folder buttons from the main navbar menu.

I probably require a little more detailed instruction, please.

Thank you very much

Dave

Create the folder on the host server, not on your computer and upload your properties site to that folder then link your properties nav bar button to that new site.

Is there some reason you need it to be a new site rather that pages on your current site?

Hi BK
    I don't need it on a new site I want to integrate into my current site if poss' & link to the Navbar & use real estate template if possible, if you can advise how to do this?

Thanks Dave

Use menu 'Insert'/'New Page'/'From Content Catalog'. When the catalog opens, there are some real estate templates under Websites/Business Themes/Real Estate, which has templates for sales and rental properties. Select a page that fits your needs and when you hover over that page, select Add Page. You may get a popup question regarding matching your existing site colors or not.
    This will import the page into the site, but since it has its own settings (page size, nav bar, etc) it may not exactly fit your original sites dimensions so you may have to do some adjusting/deleting. Once you get that page to fit, if you need additional pages just duplicate that page and change the content as you need to.
    It isn't a perfect solution but might work for you. Good luck.

Hi BK
    Thanks yes I did think of this way but quite long-winded. If there is a way to link a complete real estate template taht would be fine as it doesn't need to be too much of a match & changing back-ground is a quick task.

Thanks again

Dave

Sounds like you will need to do what Egg and I have suggested - put the real estate site in a sub-folder of you main site (on the server) and upload your real estate site to that folder. To Xara it will look like a new site but won't really be one as far as the web is concerned (you don't need a new domain name or anything like that). If you have a template you want to use for the property, open it in Xara as a new project/site. When ready to publish it, publish to the new folder on your main site that you created. So if your main site is dave.com, and you created a sub folder on the host server called properties, you would publish the properties site to the properties folder. It will have an index.htm file and whatever other pages you created, just like your main site. To get to it the path would then be dave.com/properties/index.htm. That is where you would need to point the nav bar button on your main site to. You might want to put a button on the properties site that links back to your main site so users can get back to where they started. The end result is that to the user it all looks like one site called dave.com. It works well, just be sure when you upload you put it in the correct folder on the server so you don't overwrite something you don't want overwritten.