Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to do for a client if I am away?

I am working on my first website for a client who just asked me how she can make a change if I am away. I told her I would get back to her, but I don't know the answer.

I have the program Web Designer Premium 12 installed on my desktop at home and have been working on the website (and mobile variant) from there. I'll be gone for a week in July and a week and a half in August. I don't think July will be a problem, but I know she will need to put announcements and make changes on her website in August.

Surely some of you must have run into this problem. Any advice?

Thanks,

John

Default Re: What to do for a client if I am away?

Rule #1. Don't go on vacation.

Look into Xara Cloud. You or your clients can make some changes to an existing website. I have not used Xara Cloud (I never go on vacation—see Rule #1) but this was one of the reasons it was created.

Thanks for the quick reply Gary (as well as those great tutorials I recently read).

The web domain and host is with Innoscale. I planned on exporting the website to a folder on my computer and uploading the files to the domain using FileZilla so I don't think I can use Xara Cloud. It sounds like you have to host through them. Or do I have that wrong?

John

Also, I just read that one can install the program on a laptop as well, but I don't think I can do that. See my first post:

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...alog-templates

John

Doesn't matter where you host the website. We got one on GoDaddy.

Best thing to do is use DropBox to store your .web file. That way the .web file can be accessed from anywhere.

And make sure to have Web Designer store the hosting info with the file!

John, why can you not get the client to advise the August updates and publish early?

Set up a GoogleDocs file that the client can edit and add a new webpage with an IFRAME link to the document. Egg is the main proponent for this approach.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I do not take on any work that the client wants to update or work on. They hired me as a web designer to do the work. They can send me the changes and I will charge them. Simple as that. Make sure you have this in your agreement and tell them before taking on the job. Every freaking job that the client wanted to mess with in the past (wordpress) has ended in disaster.

I believe the end users license agreement says you can install one product on three computers.

You can continue to use the copy you have purchased. But if you don't succumb to the extortion and renew your subscription, then you do not have access to the content catalog. But the program itself is fully functional including the ability to publish your files. You just loose access to the online content and upgrades and bug fixes.

So here's the deal. If you intend to use the product to produce websites for money, and you plan to make this a business, then pay for the upgrade. It's a business expense. If this is more of a one off, then don't upgrade.

There is a forum here for the Cloud https://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdi...line-Designer) and that's the best place to get a real answer to your question because I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchim View Post
    Doesn't matter where you host the website. We got one on GoDaddy.

Best thing to do is use DropBox to store your .web file. That way the .web file can be accessed from anywhere.

And make sure to have Web Designer store the hosting info with the file!
    Don't I need the program installed on whatever I am carrying with me to open it. I am unsure about the second copy. From my first post (linked above):

1. Installed 32-bit and 64-bit version 12 last year. Didn't use it.
    2. Started 64-bit program 13 months later and "updated". That locked me out of the Content Catalog rendering the program useless. Registered and posted the problem here.
    3. Found out that content catalog can be downloaded, but 64-bit "update" denied that privilege.
    4. As a last resort I opened the 32-bit installation and DID NOT update. I was able to download the content catalog to my desktop and am now designing a website with the 32-bit program.

With that in mind, how can I install the second copy on a laptop to open the .web files without a horror show and complete lockout?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    John, why can you not get the client to advise the August updates and publish early?

Set up a GoogleDocs file that the client can edit and add a new webpage with an IFRAME link to the document. Egg is the main proponent for this approach.

Acorn
    It's a website for a new theatre company which will be conducting auditions in August. Auditions, cast selections, notifications are very much in flux all the time.

I'll check out the second suggestion about EGG. The director uses Google Docs all the time as a means of communication.

Thanks