Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Cannot seem to update a website

Help, please, dear Xara Gurus..... Every year I've done a website for an annual local festival. This year I opened 2017's .web file and did a "save as" to a new 2018 version, renaming it and using a new folder., then "export website" to the new folder. Only some of the site needs changing every year, so I save as much as possible.. Before doing an FTP upload of the revised 2018 version, I deleted all the existing files that populated last year's site, then uploaded the new one. (This was AFTER uploading a couple of times using the command to replace existing files with new ones.) But nothing I've tried results in the website actually being updated with 2018 information. It's still the 2017 site. Any ideas what I'm not doing or doing wrong?

Default Re: Cannot seem to update a website

First & foremost ensure you're not loading the site from your local computer cache. In your browser hit Ctrl + F5. Get back if this doesn't solve the issue
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Nope, sadly, that didn't do a thing. Thinking that might be the problem, I'd emptied my cache a few times, to no avail.

That's fine, we've eliminated that as a cause. Next thing to ensure is that you're publishing to the correct directory on your hosting server. How are you doing this, via Xara's ftp or exporting & uploading via an ftp program like Filezilla?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I use FileZilla and uploaded (or published) to the same directory on the hosting server I've used for years. After failing to see the changes after publishing the first time, I deleted all the files in that directory and started from scratch, publishing the new version. But the old one persisted. Reckon you're right that it's a destination problem, but I can't suss out where it's going if not to the directory I've selected. The host's list of the directory contents all looks right - correct upload date and time, matching what I've got in my computer files, etc. - but the published results remain 2017. The mystery of the ghoul in the machine. (I"m gong to shut down now and take this up again the morning. Thank you for willing to be helpful!)

I'm with you, it's quarter to 4 in the morning & I'm off to bed too.
    Egg

Hi PeeWee,

I am new to Web Designer and haven't uploaded a website with the program yet, but I have been using FileZilla for years using files created from WebEasy Professional. I upload them to the public_html directory of a previous website I created with that program. FileZilla shows two lists side by side. On the right are the files on the server and on the left are the files I want to upload from my computer. If you delete the files on the server first and then upload the new ones and compare the file sizes it shouldn't show the old files you deleted. Unless you are accidentally uploading the old ones again from the wrong directory.

If there are TWO public_html directories on the server for some reason, go into the portal of the web host and take a look.

John

EDIT: Just noticed this thread. Maybe this is a problem I may encounter myself using XARA.

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...o-uk-as-a-host

I noticed that it was quite early morning for you, but didn't think it my place to ask what on earth you were doing up at that ungodly hour! :-)

I've been using Web Designer and FileZilla for years and haven't run into this problem before. Yes, deleting files from the server and re-uploading the new files was what I did but I still get the 2017 site, not the new 2018 one. I've also emptied the cache, rebooted the computer and nothing seems to help. Also, I do know that I'm using the correct directory on the server. Weird!

Does it all looks fine in preview? If so, perhaps create a new directory on the host (call it test or whatever) and upload to that directory, then you can get to it via www.(yourwebsite).com/(new directory name)/index.htm (or .html, which might be something to think about as a cause of your problem).
    At least you get a completely new site with no ghost in the works.