Quote Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
bkjohns, long delay in responding 'cause your instructions scared me! :-) They're above my mental pay-grade. My comfort level stops after designing the site; the tech stuff is smoke & mirrors to me. Soooo, some really basic questions.... Is what I call a new folder the same as a new "directory?" And can I do this on/in what might be called a sub-let on someone else's host? (A community member offered to let us use his host account for our site for free.) Also, after a new directory is created, you say I can "get to it via www.(yourwebsite).com/(new directory name)/index.htm" does that mean I have to change the link to the site in places it's been published? I'm sorry to be so dim, but even though this whole effort is as a volunteer, I still need to figure it out and get something up. I sooo appreciate your help!
Hi PeeWee,
Yes, a new folder is a directory. And you should be able to create the directory under whatever directory you currently upload to - so if you are uploading to the directory public_html (pretty normal to be that), then in Filezilla create the directory under public_html by right clicking on that directory and choosing the 'Create Directory' menu option. Give a name, then when you go to upload your site files just upload them to the directory you just created. If all goes well that directory should contain all of your site files, including an index_html_files subdirectory. If you get that far, then from your browser open up your site. In the address bar of the browser your site url should be visible (such as www.peewee.com/index). So to get to the test site, replace index with your new directory name (if you called it 'test', then the url would be www.peewee.com/test. Then add '/index.html' (no quotes) after test, and hit enter. It should take you to the test site you just uploaded.
Remember, this is not live on the web to everybody unless they know the directory name you created. This is just to see if it is the updated site you are trying to upload for real. If it works fine, then I would think you have uploaded your actual site to an incorrect directory or not uploaded some required files.
Good luck.