Click image for larger version. 

Name:	variants-border.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	125085

This border becomes thicker if you make a shared image bigger in a different variant.

If you have an image (or anything else) with a border that is shared across variants and “scale line width’” is on, when you change the size of the object in a variant, the border in the other variants changes with it, even though the image in the other variant stays the same width/height.

And yes, you can most certainly argue that that is supposed to happen when Scale line widths is on, but now you have two images of different sizes, yet the border size remains the same between the two.

It seems better to have Scale line widths only affect the variant you are actually working in.
Text can be shared between variants, and you can change the text size (and other styling options) for it and only have it affect one variant.
With border size you seem to only have 1 option. It all has to be the same, regardless of the size difference between objects in variants.

And I know, I know, I could just select “Stop sharing with variants”, which is what I’m doing now, but that defeats the purpose of being able to share between variants for easy editing when you want to change something later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	variants-border-shadow.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	125086

I just noticed this is also a problem for shadows. If you scale an image that has a shadow in a variant (which increases the blur amount) the shadow of the image in the other variant changes as well.
This can’t be how sharing objects is supposed to work between variants.