Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Smart Layout 01

Bug Smart Layout 01

Dear Xara...

I consider Smart Layout 01 to be flawed in its implementation and in its concept.

It removes designer choice and actually impedes innovation.
    It also goes a long way to destroying the natural rhythm of the Xara user interface.

It does exploit the Names Stretches concept (a.k.a. stretchy buttons) of wrapping a text area inside a box so it can be resized automatically vertically on addition and removal of text lines and manual control over its width.
    I could have created my example around this but it is limited to within XDPX so the concept cannot be taken up by the lesser Desktop applications. I also accept stretching is a heady subject in its own right.

Instead, I reverted to simple groupings that need to be the Xara designer's bread and butter to make a greater success of their outcomes.
    By doing this, I can show the further flaws in my demonstration Smart Layout 01 file: Smart Layout 01.xar.

The concept of a Smart anything is flawed as Xara has chosen to hide them all away in the buy-for-access Online Content Catalogue.

In passing, please empower your staff who read the Dear Xara Forum to, as a minimum, acknowledge that any Thread or Post has been noted, even if you intend to do nothing about it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Smart Layout 01

Seeing that those who are in the employ of MagiXara rarely correspond here, I took it upon myself to reply on their behalf - see attached.
    Edit - it goes without saying, Acorn, that I concur wholly with your sentiments!
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dear Xara.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	121437  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Smart Layout 01

iamtheblues, duly noted,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat