Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Create mobile varaint First or Last?

Read through a lot of past posts, but the answer does not seem clear to me. Several of the templates do not already have a mobile variant so you have to create one.

Two problems I read searching through lots of past posts:

1. Mobile variant created first (by user or as part of original template). Some elements not updating in the Mobile variant with changes in the Main variant.

2. Inability to create a Mobile variant after Main Variant was completed.

Which way do most of you create a mobile variant? First or Last?

Thanks,

John

Default Re: Create mobile varaint First or Last?

They are really two different animals (or they should be).

I would create the browser (full size first) because the content for the mobile variant should be simplified. It is easier to prune out content than to have to add it in.

Others I've no doubt will disagree.

Mobile last as you will be simplifying the more extensive Main site content.
    After that, redo the main site to achieve the minimum plus just enough for it to look good; most are over-designed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I also like to suggest to keep all your text minimum size on your desktop 20pt. So that on mobile you do not have to enlarge it.

I would definitely use a larger font size for the mobile site and a smaller font size for the desktop version. Just use the text styles settings to have this done automatically.

The way I do it is at the same time.

As I work on a page on the main site and get this page setup the way I want I will then change over to the mobile site's page and simplify it's design for this page. Then back to the main site and the next page and continue the back and forth one page at a time. Now I should point out that I do not do a lot of web design mostly graphics and my approach is like I would do for desk top publishing.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Mobile last as you will be simplifying the more extensive Main site content.
    After that, redo the main site to achieve the minimum plus just enough for it to look good; most are over-designed.

Acorn
    Wow Acorn, that is great advice - exactly the advice I needed. I admire people who can take complex issues and simplify them. I am great doing the opposite: Taking something simple and complicating it. I am definitely going to follow your advice and study my Mobile pages to help me see how to simplify the big ones. Thanks. Ed