Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default When it all goes to a can of worms....

My main client (I'm semi-retired) wants to take the maintenance of the site I designed and built for them in-house. The driver is expense even though I charge them pennies fo the work. In fact the client isn't really concerned at my bills but they're having to lay staff off and having the website done outside isn't good politically. They believe an employee is capable of doing the work and I've suggested they download a trial copy of XWD and make sure this lady is happy she can do the job.

I've sought information from Xara about what to move over to the client's computer if they decide to go ahead I'm confident I can hand over a working installation.

What I'm anxious to know is whether there's anything the wise heads here can suggest I do in preparation for the whole being given back to me in a mess.

My initial thoughts are to keep a copy of everything I hand over to them and to ask the client to send me copies of every update they give to the in-house lady. My theory is that I could correctly update the site from the handover point onwards.

The other option I considered in the event it was handed back to me was to install their backup versions in reverse order trying to figure out where the lady went wrong. Having said that I'm not sure my experience is broad enough to make that a feasible option. My inclination is to go back to the point I handed the site over and re-do the amendments myself.

If anyone's had a similar experience I'd like to learn from them.

Many thanks

Philip

Default Re: When it all goes to a can of worms....

In my agreement I said that they will only have access to what is uploaded to their server. So with me they do not get the xara files. I then cut all ties with them and will not help with any technical questions. For you, it will become a hell of a mess. I personally set the rules first before shit hits the fan. Clients like that are not my kind of clients, been there done that.

I agree with behzad, if they want to take over from here you should walk away completely. And if they come crawling back when they have messed it up, those pennies you charge just became dollars (paid up front if the business is in decline as they are laying people off).

I agree too. If it get back to you in a mess, you charge them to fix it. Keep a backup in the state you handed it over, and the rest is SEP. (SOMEONE ELSE'S PROBLEM).
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

The Client knows best. Remove all reference to the design files being linked to you and deliver them on CD-R media and get a receipt for the handover signed by the Client. Advise you are supplying and providing your intellectual property, the design files, and that their verbal agreement up to this point only allowed their access and use of the published site and associate source data. Propose a nominal amount for your effort to establish a contract. I would go for your actual hours spent over a typical month, including all time spent researching and talking.

As a goodwill gesture, offer a recovery and maintenance service for a transition period of three publishing cycles provided that off-line backups are made daily by the Client on a no call out, no cost offer but at your full hourly rate for all work done.

Be professional and there can be no rancour.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

They believe an employee is capable of doing the work and I've suggested they download a trial copy of XWD and make sure this lady is happy she can do the job.
    Philip, they are dispensing with your services, for political or whatever reasons. Accept this and accept a mutual break up. Finish.

Why should they expect you to teach
    an employee who MIGHT be capable of doing the work
    She won't. You'll spend more hours answering questions and undoing mistakes than it's worth your while.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks to every respondent. Your considered replies are much appreciated and very helpful.

Philip

[assuming no contractural copmplications]

hand it over - wish them well - be polite and say you look forward to working with them again

if they come back with tthis paritcular project in a mess, then I would be sympathetic but: 'unfortunately far too busty to help out at present...'

incidentally, there is a percption in some quarters that if a job doesn't cost much it has to easy to do... but you need expertise to do something 'easily' of course
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Flip,

You have started the process the right way by explaining that you use Xara and having them evaluate the trail version. If they want to continue with down this path, then turn everything over to them and thank them for their business. They probably have someone that has done some WordPress blog and think they could do the website.

Politely let them know that if they need you to correct the site after someone else has touched it then you will charge them an hourly rate to fix the site and it will not be the discounted rate that you have been charging them to maintain the site.

And as other have said it maybe be better to not look back and let the disaster strike.

Ray