Dear Xara...

I consider Smart Layout 01 to be flawed in its implementation and in its concept.

It removes designer choice and actually impedes innovation.
It also goes a long way to destroying the natural rhythm of the Xara user interface.

It does exploit the Names Stretches concept (a.k.a. stretchy buttons) of wrapping a text area inside a box so it can be resized automatically vertically on addition and removal of text lines and manual control over its width.
I could have created my example around this but it is limited to within XDPX so the concept cannot be taken up by the lesser Desktop applications. I also accept stretching is a heady subject in its own right.

Instead, I reverted to simple groupings that need to be the Xara designer's bread and butter to make a greater success of their outcomes.
By doing this, I can show the further flaws in my demonstration Smart Layout 01 file: Smart Layout 01.xar.

The concept of a Smart anything is flawed as Xara has chosen to hide them all away in the buy-for-access Online Content Catalogue.

In passing, please empower your staff who read the Dear Xara Forum to, as a minimum, acknowledge that any Thread or Post has been noted, even if you intend to do nothing about it.

Acorn