Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

xdp6 Opening Xara Document By Default With...

Hi guys... Maybe someone has the solution.

I have Designer Pro 12 and 15 installed on my computer.

But whatever I try I can not get Xara documents to open with version 15 when I double click on it.

Even when I try "Open With" Choose Default Program It will not let me use version 15.

Please help!

Thanks,
    Richard

Default Re: Opening Xara Document By Default With...

Hi Richard, have you tried Run as administrator?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

If you open up just the version 15 by it's self, do you get a window that asks for you to register .xar files for opening with this version? If the window does not appear then it sounds like 15 is setup to open the files by default.

Try the same thing with version 12.

Ray

If you've selected 'Don't show this again' then it's hard to register later. However if you are having this issue, use XaReg 2.5
    This gives the options to Check .xar file Association & Check .web file Association
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for the replies guys

Tried the above mentioned ideas.

Run as Administrator did not fix it nor did the register .xar files with this version. (Ran Xareg 2 to enable the dialog again)

Guess I could uninstall version 12... But Don't want to if it's not necessary.

Ray neither version asked me to register the program to open .xar files before enabling it again with Xareg so I guess they were both registered as such.
    Last edited by dutchim; 19 June 2018 at 07:21 PM.

Try this - right click on any .xar file then go to properties and in the general tab click change and locate DP15

I remember having this problem before and since then I've only kept one version installed, from memory the fix was to rename the .exe of the older version in the programs folder > Xara > Xara version, I just added the v number to it (v12).
    Last edited by jamesd; 19 June 2018 at 10:08 PM.

James in read your link and it was describing exactly what was happening

Tried renaming version 12... But now when I try to associate the .xar file still won't let me pick version 15.

Version 12 did disappear from available programs.

Oooo I fixed it by dropping the file on the version 15 icon I have on the taskbar... Now it's opening with the right version when double clicking!

Was driving me nuts (short trip by the way)

Thanks again fellow Xara users!

Egg