Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bleed issue in Xara Designer Pro

Hi Guys,

I need some help with the bleed in Xara Designer Pro. Initially when I set the bleed the edge of the design used to go pass the cut lines.
    Now the design ends exactly where the cut lines are as in attached pic. How to do I change this?

Thanks
    Zaahir
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180619_113743.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	121408  

Default Re: Bleed issue in Xara Designer Pro

Hello Zaahir

I just tried this in Designer Pro X-15 and I get all the printer marks including the bleed.

Did you enable the bleed margin in Page Options first?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hello Zaahir

I just tried this in Designer Pro X-15 and I get all the printer marks including the bleed.

Did you enable the bleed margin in Page Options first?
    That was the problem. Thanks

(It was a lucky guess)

Interesting add note to this. With a normal .12" bleed on a larger 24" x 16" project, everything is fine. As soon as I bump the bleed to .5" or more, the printer marks do not export to PDF commercial. Adding manual crops isn;t the end of the world, just an interesting limitation.
    Steve...

1/2 inch bleed is a bit of overkill, no? You would have to be working with a very sloppy printer if you needed 1/2".

Half inch bleed isn't unusual for large format work. I've used 5 inches on billboards. Vinyl wraps often have 2 inches.

Thanks for the response, squire! Indeed it is, and I've never been able to get a good answer as to why. In my area, at least, whenever we're dealing with coroplast signage, they want .5 bleed and .5 safe. Seems extravagant to me as well.
    Thanks
    Steve....

EDIT: Still seems odd that could affect PDF/x Export results.

Depending on how your PDFs are being processed, it isn't necessary for the marks to be present. None of my suppliers even want them, and when I do imposition work, the impo software automatically removes them and uses their own.

I generally use CD for large format work, sometimes for smaller signage I use QXP. Both can use that bleed amount and output the marks--but if I was processing them I would strip them as well.

The smaller coroplasts I do only require a standard 0.125" bleed, but no marks needed. In part, the bleed amount may be for their handling or a standard due to cut shape or even a standard in case of frame mounting. Dunno. You can always contact them if you haven't done so as regards bleed amount and whether marks are required.

Thanks for that. Here in Canada, my vendor base at least "requests" marks for press work and even vinyl in many cases. I'd be fine if I never had to think about printer marks

_| |_
    Cheers
    Steve...
    Couldn't help myself

_| |_