My wife and I just returned from spending a week at a friend's cabin on the Tobique River in New Brunswick, Canada. The Tobique River is one of the world's premier rivers for canoeing. We had a great time. It reminded me very much of earlier visits we've had to Maine. It is a great wilderness experience to visit the less developed areas of this part of the world. The camp we stayed at was a six-hour drive from our island home. When canoeing the Tobique the water is crystal clear -- we saw hundreds of rainbow trout while paddling. The current is a steady 4km/hr making a very easy downstream paddle for us who haven't canoed in many years. While canoeing it you pass some areas with cottages & camps but most is totally undeveloped. We did not see any pollution -- allowing you to feel like you have traveled back in time. On the trip we saw two black bears, 17 white-tailed deer, a moose, a fox, a hare, some chipmunks, a deer mouse, a few bald eagles, a red-tailed hawk, and some mosquitoes. It was exhilarating.

One day we also climbed Mount Carleton which is the highest peak in Canada's maritime provinces. Great view from the peak -- wilderness as far as the eyes can see in every direction.

New Brunswick probably isn't on most of your radars -- it should be! I've put together a little collection of images from Google search to remind me...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new brunswick.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	121400