Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Align column text across cols

Your text isn't aligned across those columns, Acorn. But then, I don't know whether you desired to illustrate Xara's inability to do so without faffing about or believe it is.

It can be done. It's also a right pita to do so with anything except a basic book style layout.

Even in something meant to do layout, a grid is not an absolute necessity to accomplish this. A grid is just a tool. I use baseline grids in perhaps 1/2 or more of the books I do (and the newspapers I've set up), but if the text is simple enough, the styles can be created so as to compensate for a no-grid layout and that's what I'll use (or not use depending on how one looks at it).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Your text isn't aligned across those columns, Acorn. But then, I don't know whether you desired to illustrate Xara's inability to do so without faffing about or believe it is.
    It can be done. It's also a right pita to do so with anything except a basic book style layout.
    Even in something meant to do layout, a grid is not an absolute necessity to accomplish this. A grid is just a tool. I use baseline grids in perhaps 1/2 or more of the books I do (and the newspapers I've set up), but if the text is simple enough, the styles can be created so as to compensate for a no-grid layout and that's what I'll use (or not use depending on how one looks at it).
    Mike
    Mike, appreciate your comments; I was throwing something out there to get a response and to propose a couple of workarounds.

Yes, it is a PITA, so by showing where Xara is fails might give it the right stimulus.

I strive for good enough and a workflow that can be redone without tons of effort.
    When proper baselining appears, I can then throw it all away knowing I having just been waiting.

The closest example I can think of is Tables; Xara has dithered for years so I have alternatives/workarounds that just about work but these at least have rock-solid examples of where I can show Xara where it is well off the mark.

I am knowingly ignorant of DTP best practice but 'baselining - doesn't work' wasn't a good starting point for me and, I suspect, Xara.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

I downloaded and modified your fishy example. Attached here.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Acorn,
    I downloaded and modified your fishy example. Attached here.
    Mike
    Mike, I rechecked what I had published to find it wasn't the one I intended.

Your corrections, however, are far better than I had hoped to achieve.
    My main premise is, if you design the blobs right, then the re-positioning of them does not affect the alignment.

When the Heading 1 is over two lines then moving it and the other shapes still keeps everything sane.

Most grateful,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

XDP, or rather Xara, doesn't make this easy but it is doable.

The main issue to me is the way text styles are implemented. All the properties should be broke out separately and likely in a gallery. The context toolbar is fine for tweaking but makes it more difficult than it should be and the result is more a flying by the seat of the pants approach. This makes consistency difficult when different styles are involved within the same text frame.

As well, there should be a setting for text for text to always be in points and that includes leading. For print intended documents anyway. Using percentage as a default for leading is basically for Word compatibility. But leading rarely should be set to percent.

Anyway, you're welcome.

Had to take a phone call before I was finished...

Before an "advanced" feature such as baseline grids (which there should be two kinds, page and text frame, which can/should be able to be different), I think the better things to add to XDP, which would be of benefit to both print & web, would be master pages, column guides, the break out of styles so they are clear and have listed all text properties incl. OT Features, running headers' foother, footnotes, etc.

Baseline grids are a great feature, but there should be in my not so humble opinion other things first.

When I get in publishing work, I can fully layout and produce the pdfs for two novel-types of books per day as long as the (typically) Word files are reasonably clean. That drops to 1 1/2 per day if I have much mucking around in Word. I don't expect an Xara application to be performant in that manner. It's not what Xara applications are about and never will be. But Xara could make it easier for those laying out everything from brochures & smaller to larger publications.

Mike, Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't suggesting that a baseline grid feature should take wish list precedence over other improvements like style management or anything else you mentioned. I fully respect your experience and knowledge with anything like this. I just felt the frustration of the OP's problem and wanted to try and help by thinking how I might go about tackling things. Cheers, Jono
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

No worries, Jono...I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone (well, maybe Xara...).

Even though a very careful use of styles and their settings, ensuring independent text frames are aligned, etc., can alleviate the issue(s), I would like to see baseline grids in XDP because I believe it would aid in getting from A-Z quicker for those that use XDP for such things. It just takes more time than should be necessary to achieve what I did in my example (which can still break alignment in circumstances).

It is a good request in the pile of requests.

That's because XDP ain't really a DTP application.
    Smartest thing I've read in these couple threads.

Edit: but it should be and it could have been
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.