Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Align column text across cols

Pl can someone tell me the best way to align unlinked text across two cols.

Thank you.

Default Re: Align column text across cols

If you have two linked text areas then the text aligns and flows automatically.

At the bottom of the first text area, click the small arrow, drag a new text area (you can adjust the size after you draw it) and the text will align and flow into the new text area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text flow.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	121362  

Hi Gary,

Yes. It isn't that. It is the fact that the text is not aligned across the columns, because I have an illustration in one column, and some call out text in another. In Quark there is a way to do this. Is there a workaround in Xara? Including anything in the text destroys the layout. Should I not embed?

Guess what? I can't find a way to do this in Xara, but I imported it into Serif Page Plus 9, which corrected the alignment...

Quote Originally Posted by Artyboots View Post
    Guess what? I can't find a way to do this in Xara, but I imported it into Serif Page Plus 9, which corrected the alignment...
    I cannot visualise any of your described problems, so screenshots of what you achieved with Serif and what you have tried with Xara might help. Don't try and describe what you cannot do with Xara because it might be you.

Xara doesn't have workarounds, it has different.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Just because I am an idiot, Acorn, doesn't mean I am stupid!

If I have two text areas with the same font etc, when I introduce a graphic into one column I am not able to get the alignment back. Other progs do have a way to attach to the baseline. What am I missing?

I understand fully what you are trying to do. You can always start a new text area under the illustration and then align it to the adjacent column and even link it to the previous column. It would be helpful to have this be automatic align to baseline when you insert a graphic or even a space after a paragraph that is more than a normal paragraph space. Sadly, many of these text formatting features, which I remember back with Aldus Pagemaker, are unfamiliar to the R&D team. Xara would do well to have a former typesetter or magazine and book designer give them guidelines on how to implement these features.

I am stupid Ali, I too can't understand your problem. What Acorn suggested was perfectly correct, give us screengrabs.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Artyboots View Post
    If I have two text areas with the same font etc, when I introduce a graphic into one column I am not able to get the alignment back. Other progs do have a way to attach to the baseline. What am I missing?
    I didn't call you stupid or think you are an idiot. The dumbness is in me not understanding your difficulty.

You have introduced "unlinked text", then "an illustration in one column", and "some call out text in another".
    This is trickle-feeding your problem as the problem is in the alignment failure, to what?

You mention Quark, Gary recalls Aldus, both worthies but full of features. All I was asking for is what you want.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

GARY!!!!! YES!!!! What excellent ideas. THANK YOU! I don't mind working around. But I couldn't stand to submit a brochure with misaligned columns.

You are right. It is so odd to find a DTP program without it. Makes for an amateurish finish if you can't workaround it. And yes, they need someone like us, who know the ancient wisdom (even if they can't remember the name for it!), to help them. Print is print. It needs printerly methods. I went on a course for TWO weeks just for kerning!

These arts are going to be lost.

Thank you everyone, thank you, for trying to help me here, and behind the scenes. You are the best thing of all about Xara, and I appreciate it.

Have a good evening.

Ali