Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Navigation Bar Problem

After upgrading to Pro 15 everything seemed Ok.
    Web site of 115 pages (240Mb). Originally built in V 10 and each version after that. It gets updated regularly.
    Site setup to duplicate navbar changes on pages through the site. Always worked well.
    Need to remove an item in the navbar submenu. Deleted the entry and expected to echo in every page.
    It did not. So checked the navbar properties. The checkbox against automatic links was not ticked but a blue box.
    Clicked the box and it processed the command. The results, corruption of all the entries in the bar and the navbar on the screen.
    The program then crashed. Restarted the program and it was as it nothing happened, the changes has reverted.
    This has been repeated 3 times just to make sure.
    Unfortunately this web is a mirror of another web in Spanish. Both sites have the same problem so it appears not to be a source corruption issue.
    Is there any way of solving this problem without removing the navbar completely and rebuilding it from scratch.
    The work load would be considerable.

Default Re: Navigation Bar Problem

I would try the following which has worked for me when navbars stop syncing..

1. First make sure you have a good version of your navbar on any particular page
    2. Cut it with Ctrl+X and select "Delete from all pages"
    3. Press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste the Navbar back in place.
    4. Right click on it and set it Stop Repeating
    5. Now set it back to Repeat on all pages.
    6. Save doc as a new file and carry on

Fingers crossed it might help, if not might need to rebuild navbar from scratch. Or maybe also try ungrouping it to edit graphics and then set it back to a navbar. If it keeps crahing maybe there is something in the navbar the program doesn't like.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Nice try but no cigar.
    I worked on a copy. It reprocessed the navbar and gave me every page in the web as a primary navbar option including the existing sub menus.
    Unless someone has any other suggestions it looks like a very long late night is in my future. It may restoring a copy from my backup system (I store 10 days) and see if I can find one that works. If not ..... more hard work.
    Thanks for trying xtom!

Xara backs up by default every ten minutes (unless you disable this feature).

Go to File > Open Recent > Backups. If you click the small down arrow to the right of Date Modified you can specify where you want to look.

Also, I am not sure if I read your comment correctly but if you double click on the Nav Bar to open the Navigation Bar Properties menu, you can delete any of the pages you do not want to appear on the nav bar (this does not delete the pages from the site, just from the nav bar buttons). You can also rename the buttons, for example about_me can be renamed ABOUT ME or About Me and this is how it appears on the nav bar buttons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date modified.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	121357  

So experimentation time. Loaded a copy of the web site 215 pages.

I deleted the navbar. Saved the web. Closed Xara.
    Reopened Xara and loaded the web. Selected a new navbar (3 standard buttons no mods). Clicked the check box for navbar on all pages. It whirred away.
    When it had completed, it had picked up a reference to every page in the web and decided that each page would be a primary button. 215 buttons.
    Its not supposed to do that!

No wonder my navbar was getting corrupted after the upgrade to V15.
    Having investigated 4 other webs, they all suffer with the same issue. It was just by chance I noticed the problem.

So the problem was after upgrade to V15 the user option to place the navbar on every page was removed. Replacing that option (clicking the checkbox) it read every page in the web as a button for the navbar

This must be a bug but will anyone fix it. You need to be able to trust a system that you are using. Yup issues happen but the question is when will a fix happen. This was and is a disaster for me as I will have to investigate all the webs I have written, test them and rebuild them as necessary.

You can actually start from scratch with your nav bar and just add the pages you want to appear on the bar. And you can create sub menus. But totally agree, it can be a real dog's breakfast sometimes.

True Gary

I have already started. I have 34 very large sites to re-visit and untangle this mess. Its going to take a couple of weeks to get through it all. I cannot leave a time bomb sitting there. My reputation is at stake.

It all comes down to testing changes within the application. I guess it was never done, sloppy. I come from an industry where mistakes cause aluminium rain and headlines, so testing is in my blood. It would seem a fundamental test to load a previously built web into a new version and systematically test it (good old fashion test scripts), as well as batter it to death to find any problems.

I would guess that when a previous web source is read into the new version it checks the version number and modifies the source to suit the new changes. That is why you cannot go back to the previous version of Xara to read the modified source, it moans that the source is from a different version. That is where I think the problem is. Should not be difficult to fix and save screwing other people up.

The way to deal with the problem
    Delete the navbar. Insert a new navbar. Click the option to place the navbar on all pages. It will the add all the pages as buttons.
    Open up the navbar and delete all the entries except the first one. Modify the first one to read as your wish and linked to where you want it.
    The checkbox that puts the navbar on all the pages is now in the correct mode. You just have to rebuild your navbar buttons and sub-menus.
    Bit of a pain but it can be done.
    Last edited by tam; 10 June 2018 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Additional Material

Did you actually try going back to version 12? If you have the older version it should be running side by side with 15, so I would think it would have its own backups available. And who knows, maybe the .web file will work fine in the old version.

Clicked the check box for navbar on all pages
    That is not the correct method. Just right click over the navbar and Repeat / Repeat on All Pages

I'd never work on a site with as many pages as you have either. Split the site down to manageable chunks, 10 to 12 pages.

The checkbox you mention does as it says on the tin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	navbar-option.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	121361  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

bkjohns - V12 moans that the web is set for another version. There is no possible way these webs can go backwards.

Egg Bramhill - The check box was checked throughout the life of this web until V15 changed it. This is good housekeeping as changes are always reflected throughout the web naviagtion.

Delete a page from the navbar sub. Right click Repeat on all pages. The change is only made on that page all the others are still as they were. So does not work. Delete the navbar and rebuild it allows everything to works as normal.

Most of these sites are used in the real world for information in closed high speed intranets and are already split up into interlinked webs. I publish and maintain others pro bono for charities and the like.

I asked for information (and maybe assist others that come across this problem) with this specific problem not a design review, I already have decades of experience. This is the reason I normally keep my own council.