Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: PDF printing problem with Oswald font (PGD 15.1, Win10)

Hi Jonopen,

Thank you for this kind post.

I was full of hope. I went to Fonts in Windows (7 - my video editing software prefers it), to uninstall the 2 rogues. I discovered the thumbnails of both Crimson Text (Google) and Nunito (that was already from FontSquirrel) to be corrupted - they were showing torn bits of symbols. So far so good. They looked broken, and were acting broken in the document.

Rebooted after deleting them.

Downloaded the above fonts from FontSquirrel, and installed.

Rebooted.

Opened XDP15. Changed the fonts to the new ones. Saved as new document. Noticed Nunito (the replaced one) does not display properly in the fonts list - too big, with font weights overlapping. Can barely see to choose the weight. Decided to ignore. Crimson also looking weird in the fonts list. Font weights very small in the list. Can hardly see the smaller weights! Decided to ignore.

New fonts applied, but page now looking dreadful. Everything that was aligned now isn't. Am sending this to you guys, so you can see what I am talking about.

OK so here we are again. Despite replacing the fonts, saving the file as a new file, and exporting at high quality, and viewing at 100%, you will note that the baselines are all over the place. AND my favourite thing, in the small paragraph of call out text, in bold, the text is on several different baselines. It is all over the place.

I CAN REPEAT THIS WITH ANY FONT.

THE SAME HAPPENS IN XDP11

I had to send this to the client last night as a sample. He wrote this morning "please tell me this is the technical hitch you were on about. The text looks completely wobbly."

YOU ALL KNOW I LOVE XARA. I am a professional designer who has earned a lot of money from this program and saved a lot - replacing, variously, Fireworks, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, NetObjects Fusion, Photoimpact and CorelDraw - all previous favourites for one feature or another. Nowadays, I just buy XDP. But I have never had to typeset anything other than display stuff in it before, and when it comes to ordinary DTP something is very, very wrong. People can't read books in 24 point Bodoni!

So. Angry client. Document that cannot be typeset, no matter what I try. Even if the fonts were obliging, by retaining their baselines, I would be struggling for days to do these workarounds, and destroying my layout every time the client required a change.

It is only a 16 page brochure, so I am thinking of starting again in another program. If I say its name you get angry, so I am not going to say its name. But I am also worried about that, because it has been retired, and there is no support. However, for under £20 at the moment, it may be worth a shot.

Attached are screenshots showing the wobbly Crimson text, from a high quality PDF, at 100%. Also attached the page in Xara at 500%. So. We know it is not the PDF. Even in Xara you can see the problem. I have put a guide there to show you how the characters are lifting, even in the same word.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500PERCENTBASELINEPROBLEM.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	121371  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry. Included a pdf there by mistake. Here is a screenshot showing the problem at 100% when the high quality PDF is viewed.

Name:	crimsonfaults.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	121373  

Why is that image so smalll???????? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Now with less screen and more Xara!

Name:	crimsonfaults2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	121374  

This board seems to be jpging pngs...

A xara file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Screen shots and pdfs really won't help. Please upload a xar file with a live font.

It’s in the previous post, Mwenz.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Screen shots and pdfs really won't help. Please upload a xar file with a live font.

That file is only a screen shot. There is no way to truly help with just a screen shot.

What I mean is the actual working XAR file. It can be just that section in that screen shot XAR file.

Guys,

I am laughing so hard here. XARA HERE I AM TO EAT HUMBLE PIE AND MORE HUMBLE PIE AND EVEN MORE HUMBLE PIE. I am actually crying laughing. I suddenly thought, "Is the text box even straight?" And at some point in my very anal and precise, pointlessly perfectionist designing I have caught the rotate circle and put the box out of whack by a teeny bit. No wonder I could repeat it with any font. This kept me up last night.

So Acorn, you were right in the beginning. I AM A COMPLETE IDIOT! TOTAL IDIOT.

So funny, if traumatising!

No, Xara still can't align baselines, but I might be able to survive this job without a heart attack.

Thanks for all who tried to help my self-inflicted problem. I am good at these, aren't I?

Just going to correct it, and lock the text box so I can't interefere with it!

Happy Monday.

Ali x