Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Padding Margin Size

1. when Smart transform is active can the padding margin size be kept the same size when stretching a rectangle in a vertical direction. (see example below).
    2. make it possible to copy and paste format the text inside properties or allow it to be part of a text style
    3. make it possible to assign a customised key shortcut to open the Text Inside Properties

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	padding.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	121329
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jonopen; 07 June 2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: attached the .xar file for reference
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Default Re: Padding Margin Size

After further thought, I believe this is more of a bug than a feature request and have raised a support ticket with Magix. I'll keep you all posted.

Hi,

1. This is normal. It changes when the "InsideTextArea" would be scaled. If you only scale the shape "Strg-Select" the margins will still right.
    2. +1

Ah ha, thanks, got it. I should have read the help!

"If you want to select and edit the shape that contains the text, you can use Ctrl + click or right-click "Text inside" > "Select …" With the shape selected you can resize or edit it and then the text will re-flow within the new outline".

I still think in this particular case, ie vertically stretching a rectangle with text inside, it would be helpful if the padding margin didn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    I still think in this particular case, ie vertically stretching a rectangle with text inside, it would be helpful if the padding margin didn't change.
    Hi!

OK. I was searching for a way to achieve this, and found your entry...

I am in agreement: this 'feature' is not intuitive - initially at least (though I'm still not convinced)... Every time I come back to Xara WDP, this 'feature' really bugs me

I end up with duplicated & re-typed 'text panels' having different, random Padding Margins!

It kind of helps to think of the text-area as being 'over' the containing rectangle: indeed, in the Layer gallery, the rectangle is beneath the text-area. So a normal mouse click selects the text-area, and Control+LeftClick selects the object behind the text-area, ie. the 'containing' rectangle.

However, changing just the height of a text-area, changes the 'padding margin' between that text-area and associated rectangle. I think this is counter-intuitive. This is (sort of) scaling the margin, when the user is attempting to re-shape/re-size only. I think most users would expect padding to only alter when the whole object is scaled (so the rectangle, text and padding etc, retain the same proportions).

Selecting the rectangle allows resizing of the height, but it doesn't snap to the text-area, so it involves some guess work (AFAIK) to get it to fit the text-area.

Ooh... I just found 'Smart Transform'... but I don't think this helps (right-click, lock icon).

Visually, the selector handles are identical for a text-area and for its 'associated' rectangle (you have to glance at the status line to be sure what's selected).

To add to the confusion, if the user reduces the height of a text-area too far (to contain the text), the rectangle is resized, not the text-area, and the text 'spills out' of the rectangle. The handles then differ. Then, if you reduce the height of the text-area, it also dynamically stretches the rectangle, to some degree.

To me, if the you click an object (eg. rectangle with text inside), you'd expect the handles to affect that object and for the text to re-flow. And maybe vice-versa: if you edit the text in the text-area, the rectangle ought to grow to accomodate it.

I appreciate the logic wrt websites/html, but its most certainly querky IMO!

That said, by selecting the rectangle (control-click), it is possible to just resize a duplicate text 'panel', but it seems overly complex (and easily messed up and missed!).

And... breeeath.... Ever wished you'd never started typing???