Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Grammar Checkers

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    My reaction to grammar checkers is "Nope, I am right".
    I used to be but no longer.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I think there are times when grammar checkers give bad advice, especially in some technical writing applications. Spell checkers on the other hand are my best friend, I rely on them way to much but I was never a great speller and I am always afraid of making a mistake.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Oh bye the way,
    i wonder if any spell-checker or grammar checker would have spotted that one...?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    i wonder
    I wonder: O, buy the whey.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

zakly
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I am using Grammarly, it is somehow helpful to avoid error when creating an important email.

Quote Originally Posted by 1alexie View Post
    I am using Grammarly, it is somehow helpful to avoid error when creating an important email.
    Welcome to TalkGraphics.

Others might be interested in what Grammarly might also do: https://www.cyberscoop.com/bug-in-gr...r-ever-writes/.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

As a sometime teacher of English may I offer my thoughts/experience? The more irregularities a language has the less useful a grammar checker is likely to be, and English is very irregular. Microsoft's grammar checker is a good example. Quite often all it can do is to point out a potential error for the user to double check elsewhere or highlights something that doesn't follow grammar rules but has to be learnt.

Homonyms and homophones are examples of the latter. Some years ago with three colleagues I participated in the design and construction of an MS Word add-in that would help people choose the correct homonym. It was quite elegant, allowed users to select three levels of frequency and difficulty eg the simplest level highlighted every 'where', 'wear' and 'we're', good for the student, but drove literate users to distraction. It was smart enough to distinguish between double homonyms eg read-read and read-red and read-reed. The add in worked by giving example sentences using each meaning so the user could select the one they thought correct - and that's the problem, if the problem doesn't follow rules then it remains a choice.

Add in the complications caused by punctuation and you can see how a grammar checker can only be a guide.

On the other nhand, as others have written, spell checking is a very useful tool, even if it only corrects bad typing not bad spelling!

Philip

Me no speak english no speak LOL

Assuming your spellchecker has 'lol' in it your message proves my last point precisely!