Before I knew there was going to be an Affinity software line I made noise about the cost for XDP's non-upgrade price. At $300 it was out of line. The upgrade cost is as well.

For $170 I get the upgrade to CD's latest version. I think that is also a bit high with the move to yearly releases, but the value is there and I will upgrade next month. Corel Corp also played some shenanigans concerning their license this year. It was met with resistance and Corel back-peddled. (Had to do with installation count.) Corel did implement some great new features, included some macros and plug-ins that they previously sold separately. So even at the $170, there is value.

And the best thing is, I could stop at v.2017 and not lose my access to the same content as when I purchased it and all the updates/bug fixes are there should I ever need to re-install it.

What Magix/Xara is doing isn't criminal I suspect. But it isn't morally sound, either. I am still in the position to want to help Xara if that help is acted upon. I still believe in what XDP could be. It is still the fastest drawing application I use. But it could be more in substance than flash-bang (which really is a whimper anyway these days).