Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Paid PREMIUM Support to Magix for Xara Web Designer

Before I knew there was going to be an Affinity software line I made noise about the cost for XDP's non-upgrade price. At $300 it was out of line. The upgrade cost is as well.

For $170 I get the upgrade to CD's latest version. I think that is also a bit high with the move to yearly releases, but the value is there and I will upgrade next month. Corel Corp also played some shenanigans concerning their license this year. It was met with resistance and Corel back-peddled. (Had to do with installation count.) Corel did implement some great new features, included some macros and plug-ins that they previously sold separately. So even at the $170, there is value.

And the best thing is, I could stop at v.2017 and not lose my access to the same content as when I purchased it and all the updates/bug fixes are there should I ever need to re-install it.

What Magix/Xara is doing isn't criminal I suspect. But it isn't morally sound, either. I am still in the position to want to help Xara if that help is acted upon. I still believe in what XDP could be. It is still the fastest drawing application I use. But it could be more in substance than flash-bang (which really is a whimper anyway these days).

And still Xara remains silent re this issue Mike. It is by far the most complained about feature in TG in recent the past 24 months!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yeah, Egg, there is a bit of chatter...

I think it's the most contended issue since I've been here. It's at least the longest contended issue, anyway.

Dang thumb hit the post button. I also meant to add that like CD, if there is actual substance to an upgrade, one can overlook a given price point.

Quote Originally Posted by maksimon View Post
    ..Maybe the software is too expensive? When I bought and now - i regret NOTHING! But at this point(a complete lack of progress) - upgrade cost of XDP365 is unreasonably expensive....
    I certainly love the software - up to the point at which art brushes were implemented I reckoned it value for money.. now for me it definately is not, and that is quite apart from the 365 update model which is devious

Where I come from devious is defined as the use of underhand tactics to achieve an outcome, and that is what the update model is... Xara can dress it up anyway they like, but they have failed to deliver the substance of what they promised.. they appear to be just milking it, [and at the same time attempting to lock in users with the online content...]

So not only does that raise the question: is the update maodel actually working for them? it also means that, whilst the program is maybe worth the asking price when bought new, the upgrade price is not for those of us sensible enough not to get caught in what BF calles the 'xara lemming trap'

For the company: Catch 22 - market saturation and stiff competition can mean loss of income.. would reducing prices fix that or make it worse?

I think the time is past to make cost adjustments outright.

But perhaps it still be done via tightening of a fragmented product line-up. XDP really could be the design application minus the web stuff. Or truly make P&GD that thing, roll into the Web D. Pro the remainder of the drawing stuff of XDP. Or...whatever to reduce the product line-up and reduce prices.

Or let the sales peter out all together and punt.

I don't think the on-line thingy is a sustainable, exponential-growth product. If it had begun years ago, maybe. Before there was the bazillion on-line options. I realize the on-line options are different in scope, but Xara doesn't have the market penetration to make such a thing omni-present in business life. If they had, if the desktop products enjoyed a high adoption rate, then maybe having the on-line thing as an option beginning 5 or so years ago may enjoyed a high "buzz-factor" and been a sought-after business solution. But today? I'm not seeing it.

Does Affinity publish websites like Xara?

@Dan - affinity designer and photo don't - afaik there are no current plans for this

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    But perhaps it still be done via tightening of a fragmented product line-up. XDP really could be the design application minus the web stuff. Or truly make P&GD that thing, roll into the Web D. Pro the remainder of the drawing stuff of XDP. Or...whatever to reduce the product line-up and reduce prices.
    Like many others here, I love XDP as it is, with all its current functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Like many others here, I love XDP as it is, with all its current functionality.
    The product line is too fragmented. If all the features of XDP were in XP&GD related to non-web stuff, then I would be all over that. But it's not.

If XDP had a realistic price, they could do away with WebThingyPremium and you would (obviously) maintain what XDP has. Xara gets to eliminate/lessen what historically has caused confusion with their product naming and fragmentation. It would be win-win for everyone.

I don't want anyone to get less. Not even Xara/Magix. I do want the brand to be stronger. I want them to have greater market presence and market penetration. They cannot do the latter with such product overlap. They cannot do the former unless they take positive action. Niether, though, is likely to happen based upon their history.