Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: High Low definition photos

Nice definition of the concept, Handrawn.

I was confused as anyone when I first started, but looking at it this way certainly helped me

you can think of dpi as stretching or compressing the image - so whilst dpi defines how much space it currently occupies, that is not the same as it's 'rest state' [real size]

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

you can think of dpi as stretching or compressing the image - so whilst dpi defines how much space it currently occupies, that is not the same as it's 'rest state' [real size]
    But now I'm confused again!

I made this graphic hopefully giving a quickhand reference to what I was trying to say. I hope this helps? Keep in mind, all the 'displays' and 'papers' have not scaled the image, that's the important part. Remember, once you start scaling, there's other things to consider!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dpi_demo.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	121405
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

not sure what you are saying with that graphic ?

dpi is not a measure of size - it is a ratio that determines the printed size relative to the actual size of the digital image - or determines the actual size of the digital image when scanned, relative to it's physical size in the real world

in xara for example, the actual digital size of an image is the size reported in the bitmap gallery - what you see in the workspace depends on what dpi ratio you are working at for a given image
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

What Hseiken is saying is exactly how I understand DPI and printing.

When you use Xara and change the DPI it does not work the way other graphics programs work. If I take an image and change the size in Xara to display at 300 DPI, Xara makes the image bigger not smaller like other graphics programs will. I believe Gary mentioned once that with Xara you have think in pixels not DPI to get the results you want.

Ray

right - and is not thinking in pixels what I was saying?

the xara workspace shows images relative to 96dpi - which is the microsoft monitor default

so if your image is 300dpi it will be shown in the workspace at 32 % of its 96dpi size, and if it is 600 dpi it will be shown at 16% of it's 96dpi size - that is the ratio, and it is also that means the size on screen [assuming native screen resolution] is the size that it will print at the given image resolution
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...