Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unable to use content catalog templates

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I purchased Xara Web Designer Premium 365 last April 2017 and haven't tried to use it until the past week or so. It told me there was an update so I updated first.
    Then I watched lots of tutorials and went to try the software. But when I click on "New From Content Catalog" it takes me to a page to pay for an upgrade. If I click on anything to download it tells me that my license expired.

I have never used the software. Do you only get a year to use it before you have to pay again even if you didn't need to use it? Or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help,

Regards,

John

Default Re: Unable to use content catalog templates

It is a one year subscription so you are out of the year and will have to pay up again to use the entire content of the program. The program will run, but you won't have access to the new stuff. I hate that system but what can you do?

Thanks for the reply bkjohn,

I am a little confused. When you say that I "won't have access to the NEW stuff" I am not sure what you mean. I don't appear to have access to ANY stuff. No templates at all.

regards,

John

~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred C View Post
    Appreciate the link Fred.

I read through that entire thread. Now I am even more confused. If I am reading it correctly, the online content catalog is no longer there even if you pay XARA again? But you would only find that out AFTER you paid them and saw that they were still unavailable? You had to know to download the templates within the year because they are now gone?

In other words, pay Xara again and THEN you cannot still download them to your hard drive so that you can use them in the future?

OR, is it that unless you pay every year you have to create your own templates? Can someone explain this in simple terms? I want to be able to choose templates to create websites
    once and awhile from a set of templates stored on my computer with the program. Right now because I didn't understand this, I have a program with which I can only create a website from scratch (I think). I was using Web Easy Professional for a few years, but it is difficult to tweak. It did however come with a set of templates that download when you install the program. I have version 4 and version 10 and they both did that. Xara seems more powerful and I would love to be able to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by craftech View Post
    Appreciate the link Fred.

I read through that entire thread. Now I am even more confused. If I am reading it correctly, the online content catalog is no longer there even if you pay XARA again? But you would only find that out AFTER you paid them and saw that they were still unavailable? You had to know to download the templates within the year because they are now gone?

In other words, pay Xara again and THEN you cannot still download them to your hard drive so that you can use them in the future?

OR, is it that unless you pay every year you have to create your own templates? Can someone explain this in simple terms? I want to be able to choose templates to create websites
    once and awhile from a set of templates stored on my computer with the program. Right now because I didn't understand this, I have a program with which I can only create a website from scratch (I think). I was using Web Easy Professional for a few years, but it is difficult to tweak. It did however come with a set of templates that download when you install the program. I have version 4 and version 10 and they both did that. Xara seems more powerful and I would love to be able to use it.
    Hi, I too had huge concerns over the changes when it happened and posted many questions. I eventually was made aware that if I purchased a DVD when I ordered the upgrade, then should I need to install the program again, all the content in the catalogue would be reinstalled at the same time. As I understand it, if I hadn't had done this then I would have needed to download all the content and then backed up those files to somewhere else (not a simple task) so, in the event of having to reinstall, or at the end of the update year I had paid for, I could then move them back in place and have access to them again.

I don't know if the DVD is still an available option when you upgrade, but I'm relieved to say that the one I purchased when I moved to 365 (V12) it does work, as I needed to reinstall it after a system format two days ago and everything, and I mean everything, was re-installed. It was even followed by 60mb update install which was to fix the bugs in the version on the DVD, obviously not installing any of the improvements/additions to the program in the year of my initial upgrade, something that was explained repeatedly when I initially pestered for further information.

I personally feel that if the DVD option was offered whenever anybody upgraded and it was made very clear at the point of purchase why they should pay the extra for it, I don't think that we wouldn't have the bad taste regarding the changes. In theory, with the DVD, it basically gives us back what we had when we purchased the software the old way. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Hi,
    I am new to the forum. I purchased Xara Web Designer Premium 365 last April 2017 and haven't tried to use it until the past week or so. It told me there was an update so I updated first.
    Then I watched lots of tutorials and went to try the software. But when I click on "New From Content Catalog" it takes me to a page to pay for an upgrade. If I click on anything to download it tells me that my license expired.
    I have never used the software. Do you only get a year to use it before you have to pay again even if you didn't need to use it? Or am I doing something wrong.
    Thanks for the help,
    Regards, John
    John, we feel your pain and we are sorry for the "Xara Experience".

Xara took the decision to separate Desktop application and content, making on-line access and updates a subscription model.
    At the same time, Xara decided it was clever to revert any bought licence back to the purchase date on a re-install.
    As a result, you can run the application, without content, with bugs restored, on a design that you can no longer amend any of the new features as these were all advanced preview, or as we call it smoke and mirrors.

As was pointed out, you could have bought a DVD with content accessible but even there Xara did not have DVDs available on v12 launch, as far as I recall, so they weren't offered.

Xara did not advise that it is possible, with subscription cover, to download the on-line content until later. It is buried away in the on-line Help and is not prominent.

All of this is marketing shenanigans to "force" loyal Customers to pay for a re-subscription that was set around 30% and is now 45%.

If you have an earlier version, v11 or under, it is possible to get to a lot of the content that came with their purchase for re-use in v15.

If you choose to re-subscribe, you can download everything to a local drive; you just might not know how to find any of it as Xara also decided to remove the Find function to being on-line.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    John, we feel your pain and we are sorry for the "Xara Experience".

If you choose to re-subscribe, you can download everything to a local drive; you just might not know how to find any of it as Xara also decided to remove the Find function to being on-line.

Acorn
    Blimey Acorn, I didn't know they had moved the 'Find Function'. I'd better look after my DVD then, I've already made a backup copy of it, you can never be too careful

Quick question, I haven't gone through to the purchase page to upgrade to 15, are they still giving you the option to purchase a DVD?

Hello all,

Thanks for all the replies. Just got back to this today. Some hope.

I realized that I had installed BOTH the 64-bit version and the 32-bit versions last year. I ran into all these problems when I opened the 64-bit version and "updated". So I opened the 32-bit version for the first time and it asked me to "update". I declined and lo and behold I was able to go right-click on the folder names in the Local Designs Gallery and "download all" for each of the five folders in the 32-bit version. When I then checked the 64-bit version the content was available there as well. I saw that in this thread by Acorn (A big thanks to ACORN)
    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ontent+catalog

So now, I don't want to lose everything. What should I do to "preserve" the content so that I can actually use the program (version 12 '365').

Regards,

John

(A big thanks to ACORN)
    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ontent+catalog
    So now, I don't want to lose everything. What should I do to "preserve" the content so that I can actually use the program (version 12 '365').
    Regards, John
    Cheers John.

The Xara Desktop application and Windows itself, for application removal (uninstall), so it is possible for you to lose all your downloaded content.
    Xara mucked-up once (specifically for the downloads) and all were blitzed.

What I do it burn off the designs under the ..\eng\ folder to a DVD or store on a USB stick.
    You can restore to the same folder or link to another folder with the Disk Designs button.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat