Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Timelines

Question Timelines

I am redoing my current website as it's been around for 5 years now and it's long overdue for a revamp.

I have a huge amount to put on this new website as I have been doing a lot of research on the topic, which is about an author and his life and work. So rather than use a lot of text which is how my current one sits I thought it might be good to use some form of timeline. So my questions are:-
    1. Looking at other timelines it appears that the pages are either one long continuous page vertically or horizontal...is that feasible with Xara or would you recommend another way... ie I did wonder about splitting it into periods of time
    2. The timeline components shown in the content catalogue are static..how can I (or not?) get them to move like a timeline... such as in this example of Anne Frank (not contemplating something quite so complex as this!!)
    3. Any other suggestions if this idea is not feasible within Xara, bearing in mind want to continue with Xara. There seem to be some timeline templates on tke internet but not sure if they can be used with Xara and that would still bring me back to the matter of page width and length.

Thank you for any help
    ps forgot to add the example of the Anne Frank website http://www.annefrank.org/en/Subsites...ites/Timeline//

Default Re: Timelines

You could create a single page Supersite with horizontal scrolling. Create anchors for each section and link to the anchors. I think this would work.

For the rest of the site, create a full site and then link to the timeline and have a nav bar that links back to the actual size.

Does this make any sense?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gwpriester; 02 June 2018 at 10:51 PM.

I knew it was best to ask here!! That makes a whole lot of sense. Thank you!!

You'll need to experiment with the navigation. It sort of works but not perfectly.

Hi
    Yes it isnt working too well for horizontal although I guess vertical would work better. BEing somewhat awkward I wanted to stick with horizontal.
    If I find it doesn't really suit have you any idea whether one fot ehse 'off the shelf' timeline would sit with Xara or would I do teh same thing upload a separate website with just the timeline and linking to it... not wishign to seem ungrateful or anythign but not sure about loading up two websites in order to make this work... perhaps I might be allowed to ask if anyone else has done anything similar or is this a design being worked on at all?

Sure. We tried. Maybe Egg, or Acorn, or Siran or PhilM or anybody has a suggestion.