Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Scribble June 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    The attached image is a screen capture at the point I had a serious error.

Attachment 121343

The image is "simply" a 950-step rainbow blend between two copies of the provided lines. Both lines had conical stained glass transparency (99.5% to 100%) and stroked profiles. The only difference between the two 24-point lines was their colour and that one was flipped horizontally relative to the other. The crash happened when I foolishly decided to attempt to add feathering to one of the two lines. It wouldn't actually let me continue.
    Kinda funny when you think about it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Quote Originally Posted by MarcT View Post
    To the beach!!

Attachment 121345
    Hey Marc - that's a great use of the line. Running Fast!

Kinda funny when you think about it.
    Yes, funny strange. The technique is a great way to have some interactive graphics fun. It's about trying simple edits to the blend and watching what effect it will have. You can't really anticipate how it will turn out. Fun!

[Tip: to edit the start and end objects in a blend that has hundreds of steps, use ctrl+click to select the end shape in the blend -edit as desired- and then use the tab key to switch the selection to the blend's start object. The technique requires many steps in the blend and very high levels of transparency in the start and end objects. Those objects can be lines or shapes. In the case of lines you have line weights, rotations, skewings, scalings, colour, strokes, as well as transparency settings to play with. Lots of variables for something created with as little as two lines.]

I thought I'd try playing with the supplied line in SketchUp. I couldn't import the line itself so I imported a jpeg image of it and traced it in SketchUp to replicate it. The candlestick was then constructed using copies of the line to shape the profile. A few jpg exports were then assembled into the attached image using Xara.

Attachment 121323
    That's seriously good.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

That's seriously good.
    Thanks Rik. And thanks Larry & Bob for your comments on the same image earlier. If you haven't tried SketchUp you should. The free version is good. Models like the candlestick are relatively easy to create. While SU isn't photo realistic it still can communicate 3d ideas quite well. Here's an example I created - It was all done in SketchUp (except adding the lettering) >> SketchUp Example <<

Quote Originally Posted by Penny O'Rorke View Post
    Scribbles and blends...…. My scribbles frequently seem to turn into blended flowers, they're fun to do - I like the guilloche effects of blending.
    I just had a good look at your image Penny. I really like it and I learned an important new word: >> guilloche <<

Thanks, Ross. Yes, it's a good word!

Thanks Rik. And thanks Larry & Bob for your comments on the same image earlier. If you haven't tried SketchUp you should. The free version is good. Models like the candlestick are relatively easy to create. While SU isn't photo realistic it still can communicate 3d ideas quite well. Here's an example I created - It was all done in SketchUp (except adding the lettering) >> SketchUp Example <<
    That looks good Ross.

I have a question for you.
    Been looking at that guys freehand perspective and I detect am error
    When he made a pitched roof he said copy the first side he made and past that line on the other end.

It is my understanding that when making a pitched roof that take the line and extend the line till it crosses in this case the left VP and use that point to make the line for the opposite visible side of the pitch, that puts it in perspective.
    It seems like he just plops down a vp which is usually a corner shot,I do not like corner shots and prefer to set up my perspective to feature whatever I want to make most important. Anyway this simple example would be 1 point perspective. So the question is am I right or wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitch roof.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	121353  
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Larry - I think I know what you are wondering about but it's hard to be sure. In your example it looks to me like you've drawn a flat roof rather than a sloped one.

I attach a 3d model I made of >> this historic house in Charlottetown, PEI, Canada <<. It is a two-point perspective (although the normal mode for SketchUp is 3-Point). For illustrative purposes I've added in some construction lines. They show that the vanishing point for the roof is the same as for the wall. I also added in a 'X' on the wall to illustrate how the location for the pitched roof's ridge & gable is determined relative to the wall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GillisHouse.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	121356

My misunderstanding! please ignore post please
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host