Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Converting from CMYK to RGB

Hi!

I am trying to create a new logo and I'd like to know if an image can be automatically converted from cmyk to rgb. You can do this in Illustrator but I wonder if this is possible in Xara. I am using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer.

Regards

kpixel2009

Default Re: Converting from CMYK to RGB

Image? As in a bitmap?

If so, there's nothing to really do as everything inside Xara products are really RGB. If vector elements are colored using CMYK, all it takes is exporting to PNG, they are now RGB colors. Or, if exporting to PDF, make sure you are not using any of the PDF/X types of PDFs and check in the export dialog to make sure CMYK is not chosen for the color model (usually isn't).

Beyond that advice, I would need more info about what you are creating and for what purpose.

Mike

Hi Mike. Thanks for the quick reply.

I want to create a logo in vector format using cmyk colors for business cards, brochures and other printed materials. Then I want to create a website version in png format with rgb colors. In a program like Illustrator I would just select the logo and convert it automatically to rgb. BTW, I have Xara Page & Layout Designer. Can I convert in that program as well?

Someone else would need to verify P&LD's capabilities. But it should be doable. Just make sure you use cmyk colors on the design, export to pdf using whatever pdf type the print establishment wants, which is typically a pdf/x type. Then for the web use png format and it will be rgb.

If you get stuck or have questions about the pdf, let me know and I can take a look at it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by kpixel2009 View Post
    Hi Mike. Thanks for the quick reply.

I want to create a logo in vector format using cmyk colors for business cards, brochures and other printed materials. Then I want to create a website version in png format with rgb colors. In a program like Illustrator I would just select the logo and convert it automatically to rgb. BTW, I have Xara Page & Layout Designer. Can I convert in that program as well?
    I have P&LD11.
    When designing a logo just select CMYK from the colour menu dropdown ( the default is HSV) for your fills.
    As Mike says, exporting it as a png will convert it to RGB