Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default adding text sometimes gives the object behind it a light green outline?

Hey in the latest version here I am adding text say on top of a circle and it gives me an outline around the object or image of light green, and I am not sure how to disable this function. Seems new. Anything I can do to avoid it? I just keep pressing ctrl-z to undo it when it happens.

Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.snap_001.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	121256
    Ron Cavagnaro

Default Re: adding text sometimes gives the object behind it a light green outline?

Quote Originally Posted by rpc9943 View Post
    Hey in the latest version here I am adding text say on top of a circle and it gives me an outline around the object or image of light green, and I am not sure how to disable this function. Seems new. Anything I can do to avoid it? I just keep pressing ctrl-z to undo it when it happens.

Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.snap_001.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	121256
    Ron, it is the latest, newest Text inside feature. Sadly, despite asking, you cannot disable it.

If you touch any shape while using the Text tool, the shape is immediately transformed into a Text Area wrapping the shape.
    Xara makes it all better by letting you right-click and pick Text inside > Select (shape)!?!
    Xara then fails to explain you could use Copy and Paste replacing Selection as an escape route.

I have also found that using the Page & Layers gallery, expanding the Text Area and selecting the inside shape and then right-clicking and picking Move to Current Layer, decouples the Text Area and shape; keeping both.

Ctrl+Z gets you out of the hole quite nicely.

Nice one Xara - not.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: adding text sometimes gives the object behind it a light green outline?

Hi Ron, this is due to the new feature Text within a Shape or whatever it's called. If you have a shape selected, change to the text tool, and click over the previously selected shape it defaults to Text within a Shape. I don't find this very intuitive & probably confusing to newbies. I'd prefer to select both the text & the shape and have an Arrange / Fit text within Shape option, similar to Fit Text to Curve.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@Egg, do keep up.

Only seconds slower this time!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Far better put than my explanation Acorn. Kludge springs to mind.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Bug Re: adding text sometimes gives the object behind it a light green outline?

What is sad is these kludges are found within hours of launch. The Xara developer (I hope not truly singular) is directed by the Xara designer and the usability is checked by the Xara tester. Kate Moir states this was one of the most asked for user requests. I cannot find any TG Post

Somehow it has morphed into a User Story:

As a Xara Desktop application user
    I want to select any shape while using the Text tool
    So that I can immediately add Text Inside to a new, enclosing text area that just contains the shape

So we end up with an enforced function where it could have been an elective one solely using the context menu (Add Text Inside).

Acorn

regedit following ** at own risk,make a backup-copy of your registry before making any changes**
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\15\Options\TextTool
    doubleclick the key : ClickToCreateTextInside and change the value from 1 to 0

Cheers Haakoo and thanks for your suggestion/fix however I'm never happy messing about with the registry and it shouldn't be necessary either.

I prefer to use XaRegEdit created by the Bill Taylor aided by Steve Ledger (Edit: Forgot to add John Horn) to do these things but I don't believe this app is any longer being updated (?). Xara should have long ago produced their own version of Bills excellent app but they seem to prefer this hands off approach.

But more than that, Text inside a Shape is just another kludge, a Bad Bolt-on, a poorly implemented workaround.

Edit: The app seems to still be operative for V15.
    Egg

Yes Eric,my thoughts exactly about the usage of the registry.
    But at least if someone has no need for the text in shape,it's here to find
    And yes xara needs to fix,yet again, a pre-assumed feature with no on/off switch(sigh)
    Last edited by haakoo; 30 May 2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: regkey NoTextInShape

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    regedit following ** at own risk,make a backup-copy of your registry before making any changes**
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\15\Options\TextTool
    doubleclick the key : ClickToCreateTextInside and change the value from 1 to 0
    Thanks hakoo, not tried it as I am trying to be productive with v15.1 and note where I am not.

In passing, does the Registry change block Text Inside entirely? i.e., right-click context menu.

Acorn