Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: A Pic for Ron Duke...

There is a third explanation for the elephant grass...

The area around Annapolis Royal was first settled by the French in 1605. The settlers and the culture they created, largely cut off from French rule, are known as Acadian. (The English later forced most of the Acadians on ships and sent them away. Many went to Louisiana and became known as the Cajuns. Many came back and the Acadians now have vibrant communities here in Canada's atlantic provinces. Acadia National Park in Maine is named after them). The Acadians first settled the marshes around what became Annapolis Royal. Apparently they found it easier to build dikes so they could farm the marshes than to clear the forests. It is said that they brought hemp seeds so they could grow hemp to make rope. It isn't known if they smoked it too but they likely did given the hardships they overcame. By the time of the forced expulsion the typical Acadian family had something like 12-to-14 children and a far lower infant mortality rate than europe did. Life was good for them on the dikeland they created with hard work. All this is preamble to the idea that the Acadians may have introduced the elephant grass so they could use it to thatch roofs. It is known their early homes had thatched roofs. I however think it is unlikely that the peasants who left rural France in 1604 would have access to elephant grass from the African grasslands.

In Annapolis Royal there is a reconstruction of an early Acadian house. Here's a pen & ink sketch I drew of it some years ago. Note the thatched roof -- the reconstructors used elephant grass. It worked for them so that's what likely led to the idea that maybe the early Acadians planted the stuff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acadiain_cottage_byRossM.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	121247

An even more likely explanation but not as entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post

Did you find the 'where the [hell] are we' tribe by any chance in this long grass?
    Interesting Egg. That's not the way I heard the name of the tribe, but, to keep it clean and so as not to offend anyone I will not post the names of the 3 tribes here. i will PM you the names.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I was referring to the last one in your PM Larry
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Be careful looking in the elephant grass -- you might find some hipsters who got lost looking for the Starbucks. (They were found in 2005 but went in 2 years before).

Name:	506505-Elephant-Grass-0.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	121252

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I was referring to the last one in your PM Larry
    That's what I thought Egg. I just had to PM you on this, weather I was right or wrong.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    Be careful looking in the elephant grass -- you might find some hipsters who got lost looking for the Starbucks. (They were found in 2005 but went in 2 years before).

Name:	506505-Elephant-Grass-0.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	121252
    Wow that's some tall grass. Thanks Ross, neet photo. You are a wealth of information.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Did you find the 'where the [hell] are we' tribe by any chance in this long grass?

May I be PM’d on this?
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer