Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Tables and 3D in 15.1

I'm playing around with the new tables feature. Table 3 seems to support the 3D function and rotates nicely - but while the text in the cells adapts with the changing rotation, the check marks do not. Is there a workaround?

PS: As expected this happens with non-text in all the tables e.g. in Table 4, most of the table rotates well but the photos come out of place.
    Last edited by yjs; 25 May 2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: clarification

Default Re: Tables and 3D in 15.1

I've tried grouping the photos with the rest of the table - still no luck. I can move the entire table using the selector tool, but the 3d functions work only with the table and its text - not its images.

A more serious issue, maybe related to this problem: Adding a row to a table duplicates all the text content of the last row, but not the images. If you then cut and paste an image into the last row, its position isn't locked. So repositioning the table on the page doesn't move the image.

Also I would have thought a table inserted into a column of text would automatically reposition (and page length be automatically altered) when the preceding text is extended/reduced but that doesn't seem to happen. Is there a workaround?

Unfortunately I just can't get the tables to work correctly. I need to add a row with an image, then insert the table into a document, add more text above it and have it move down the page.

Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    I've tried grouping the photos with the rest of the table - still no luck. I can move the entire table using the selector tool, but the 3d functions work only with the table and its text - not its images.
    This is because Xara does not understand what designers need.

Throw away Table 01 and Table 04 and avoid Embedded Groups as they lie outside the new Xara structure for tables anyhow.

if you want images to be 3D-handled, you need to be in "smart" mode and select a cell. You can then use select Fill Tool > Bitmap to add your image.
    3D manipulation then works.

Acorn

P.S. This also sorts out add Rows and Columns with images.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    This is because Xara does not understand what designers need.

Throw away Table 01 and Table 04 and avoid Embedded Groups as they lie outside the new Xara structure for tables anyhow.

if you want images to be 3D-handled, you need to be in "smart" mode and select a cell. You can then use select Fill Tool > Bitmap to add your image.
    3D manipulation then works.

Acorn

P.S. This also sorts out add Rows and Columns with images.
    Thanks very much, Acorn - This works nicely and a bonus is that additional rows also include the new image. However, you now need to use two different ways to replace images in the table. For the old images, you can simply drag from the bitmap gallery and the cell padding etc. is preserved. For the new images, you need to resize manually each time to emulate the padding etc. in the original images... And if you alter, say, the padding for the whole table, it only affects the old images. Is there a workaround for this?

I really think that Xara should alter the templates in the gallery so that adding a row duplicates all the entities (including graphics) on the previous row and preserves the integrity of the table.
    Last edited by yjs; 27 May 2018 at 02:26 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    Is there a workaround for this?
    I agree and the question has to be asked of Xara (Dear Xara... Forum).
    The workaround i have tried is tedious: in the Fill Tool, add in the default image then re-apply your original.

I raised this image manipulation in a Dara Xara... https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-Complications Thread.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I agree and the question has to be asked of Xara (Dear Xara... Forum).
    The workaround i have tried is tedious: in the Fill Tool, add in the default image then re-apply your original.

I raised this image manipulation in a Dara Xara... https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-Complications Thread.

Acorn
    Thanks, I will raise it...