Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Inserting Text and Objects to automatically push down existing objects on a page

Rather a long title but could not explain in any other way. We produce a page called "Latest News" which changes each week, see link http://rutlandcountyseniors.com/latest%20news.htm . We keep three weeks, inserting the latest week and deleting the oldest.
    I cannot find a way of inserting the current week to automatically push down the existing week on the page. Selecting all of the current pages and dragging them down to make way for the new seems rather cumbersome. Any suggestions please. Terry

Default Re: Inserting Text and Objects to automatically push down existing objects on a page

In the Push meu (or any Xara menu for that matter) press Help for a context sensitive menu explaining the options and functions related.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Push Help.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	121208  

Default Re: Inserting Text and Objects to automatically push down existing objects on a page

Gary is correct to an extend. I had similar issue when inserting a form. The form when not filled would result in errors telling the user to fill in the form correctly and usually this would extend the form which would then run into the footer. There is no way around it other than doing it manually.

Hi Thanks for replying. I'm not using a template based page, whilst I have grouped items and get up the Context box and "Apply" . When trying this out by insert text or an image it does not "Push" the existing object down. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong. Terry Is there a way of seeing if the existing object is a "Push" object.

Right click on the object and select Push. I think if this feature is active there will be settings.

But as I suggested, please read the Help file. Push requires a little understanding of the process and the object or objects designated to Push. I have not used this feature except once or twice in a review so I cannot really provide any more details.

You are quite correct that "Push requires a little understanding of the process and the object or objects designated to Push.". I have spent some time trying to use it and it takes a lot of understanding. When you think how easy this task is in other programmes I believe the process needs a rethink. Thanks for your help. Terry

There used to be additional controls but we lost those when Xara added Autofit to Page.

There is an easier way, import a Text Panel from the Online Content Catalog (See attached). These Text Areas are set up to automatically expand as you add or remove text and you can alter the text and remove the outline from the text are if you want.

If you set the text area to Push then it will expand or shorten the page as you add or remove text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text panels.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	121222