Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara on the rocks.

This represents my present feeling towards Xara software and reading through the forums over the past few months I believe it represents their views too.

• Views expressed within TG re the future of Xara go unanswered by the great and the good
    • Desktop version updates are playing a very lowly second fiddle to Xara Cloud if any place in the orchestra at all.
    • Xara Cloud is NOT graphic software but an entirely different, expensive beast.
    • Updates have been delayed for months.
    • Now we are having censorship if we post any detrimental statements re our opinion of the direction Xara is headed with threads being closed.
    • I would like to think mine is a voice in the wilderness but from TG's post it's an unanswered scream of despair.
    • Features are added half-cocked and then further development abandoned.
    • etc. etc etc. ad infinitum

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	on-the-rocks.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	121203  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Xara on the rocks.

+1 Egg I have no intention of upgrading my P&GD 11 because as pointed out in another thread, it's cheaper to buy a complete new version( that's if one is ever sorted out and fixed) when needed than paying for what they term an update service! As far as I am concerned the whole scenario for desktop versions are becoming an endangered species. I will wait and see but don't have much faith in Magix, I regret the day they got hold of Xara.

Stygg

+1

Have you noticed that the announcement wasn't made in the announcement section.
    Guess they aren't that proud anymore

Chin-up chaps! At least a value can now be added for margin padding

I agree there's not a lot in the latest update to get massively excited about, but at least there are a few things (crumbs!) to keep it going. Let's hope some of the bugs have been ironed out - and no new ones added!
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

what is margin padding?

take a product and sell it for x
    take the same tired and outdated product, tell people it's super improved
    now you can sell it for x+25%
    you make a bigger margin
    margin padding
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

@stygg2003

I see no evidence of Magix interfering with the development of Xara; even Xara says that they themselves are responsible for development of their products. Magix simply now does the marketing and distribution, which makes sense to me. The recent problem where Magix sent back Xara 15.1 was undoubtedly because Magix found problems with it, not because of anything that Magix did. If Magix had not done this, we probably would have been the ones complaining.

On the other hand, maybe Magix had some influence with getting Xara Cloud going, maybe not. I see Xara Cloud as an opportunity for Xara to find a new market for the content that they already have. Magix has done a similar thing with MusicMaker and now ACID (and even Movie Edit Pro) in that they have repackaged old (and new) Soundpool loops and sell them within the program. The base program is free, but you pay for both features and content, which is much more lucrative than the old model. Development has plateaued.

@Egg

I think that the basic problem is that we have not seen any "WOW" features added; a lot of nice to have, but no game changers. Is the message to Xara, please give us at least 2 new fantastic features per year, particularly in the graphics area, that have been requested many times? And keep the other features coming.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    The recent problem where Magix sent back Xara 15.1 was undoubtedly because Magix found problems with it, not because of anything that Magix did.
    John, where did you get this snippet from?
    Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    I think that the basic problem is that we have not seen any "WOW" features added; a lot of nice to have, but no game changers. Is the message to Xara, please give us at least 2 new fantastic features per year, particularly in the graphics area, that have been requested many times? And keep the other features coming.
    No the basic problem is there is no engagement with Xara through TG at any meaningful level where any suggestions have been followed through.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat